How do you get them to brush thier teeth?

I have a 5 yr son. He has 4 or 5 cavities and now 3 or 4 caps. He will brush his teeth once or twice a month. That is if I'm lucky. My daughter brushes her teeth 4 to 5 times a day. I have never had any problems getting her to brush. But he just wont do it.

TxBlackRose

Asked by TxBlackRose at 10:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Health

• My youngest DD brushes to feed the bugs that live on her teeth. Apparently they eat toothpaste?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I say, go brush your teeth....

I have all girls tho
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My kids are 5 and 7 and I still brush for them on most days. Actually, I brush and then let them do it themselves. I started brushing before they had teeth, so they don't really think anything about it. And at 5 and 7...I don't think they are capable of getting them as clean as they need to.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My DD hates brushing (no decay so far- and she's 9). I simply do not give them an option. We go to the bathroom and brush our teeth- if they decide that they do not want to do it on their own, I tell them that they can do it, or I can do it for them. That's usually motivation enough.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I also meant to say that when they were younger, we made up songs to sing while they were brushing. Making a game out of it makes it fun!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son is 2 but we make a big game out of it he gets a tooth brush with his paste on it and he gets to brush his teeth while i brush mine then i take a second kid toothbrush when i'm done brushing and go over his teeth really quick...it's a game because he uses the first brush he had to "brush" mine while i brush his...lol good luck!
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 10:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't "get them to" and never did. I simply told them to go brush their teeth. Not doing it was never an option.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It really depends on why he doesn't like to brush his teeth! My son has some fairly severe sensory issues and brushing teeth for him is extremely challenging (taste, feel, etc). He is 7 and it is a daily struggle! What has sort of worked for us is that we let him choose the toothpaste and pick out his toothbrush. We have found that the vibrating/battery types work best both because they come in cool designs AND because if he can get it into his mouth, it vibrates so seems to get the job done more quickly. Lots and lots of praise when he does it with no fuss (stars on chart). He also knows that while we sympathize with his struggle, he just has to do it .
    msb64

Answer by msb64 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My girls will brush their teeth on their own and do a decent job, my oldest however is lazy about it. He has horrible teeth and pretends he doesn't know how to do it. I try scaring him into caring for his teeth, tell him they're going to fall out or he'll get sick which isn't a lie just a bit of a stretch. But overall they're not too hard, just have to keep them from getting toothpaste all over the bathroom.
    momofour09

Answer by momofour09 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2010