Do companies have to pay out your vacation time when you quit?

My husband found out that there was a chance he would get laid off and instead of waiting for it to happen he found a new, more stable job. He has 84 hours of vacation that he hasn't used. Do you think they will pay it out to him after he quits?

AmazingAmanda

Asked by AmazingAmanda at 10:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• no. He should try and take it before he tells them he quits.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No, they have no obligation to pay out his vacation days. He might have gotten them in a lay off package though.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Can he take the time off now? Or atleast some? I don't think they have to pay it.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Nope...when you quit then you are giving up everything. Now, had he been laid off they more than likely would have paid it out.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My company pays whether you quit or get fired. You earned those times.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Depends, if you give the right notice. If the vacation time is acutally accrued and if when he started he had to wait 2 weeks before being paid. He'll need to contact his HR manager and find out.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He would have to check with his Human Resources department or his company manual. Every company's policy on benefits is different. My husband works for a very large international company and earns vacations time by the hour every week but if he doesn't use it, he can only roll over two weeks worth every year. If he were to get laid off they would include this in his severance package. When I got laid off, my accrued vacation time was included with my severance package.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He would have to request to take his time, THEN turn in his notice. It will still make them mad, but there's nothing they can legally do about it if he doesn't have something to prohibit it in his contract.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Everywhere I have worked paid earned vacation if you quit. On the flip side, if you have taken vacation before it is earned, they will take that amount out of your final check.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• They have to pay it out if you're fired, but not if you quit.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010