What should i tell other children about my sons autism?

I have a 5 yr old autistic/adhd son.He looks very normal.But it is very obvious from his behaviors that he is different.He has very limited speech mostly echolalia,cannot carry on a conversation.He is not always able to play appropriately with other children.Children have come up to him wanting to talk and play with him.But he comes off as rude because he cannot respond back in an appropriate way...And another question is if anyone knows where i could get some dog tags made for him.We have trouble with him running from us when we are in public.So he needs some kind of id on him in case he gets lost.

KzaM4Infinity

Asked by KzaM4Infinity at 10:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• my sister has the same problem with her son.....she got these great cards off an autism website to hand out to people when things happen in public...you mite look that up and as for the dog tags i think most walmarts have a machine in the pet department that make those cheap...good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• http://www.autismgear.com/OtherItems.html#ChinaDoll

This is a great book for teaching other kids about autism. Though I do feel if your son is in an inclusion classroom the teacher should inform the students on how to play with him.

Any engraving shop should be able to make an ID tag for him.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2010