When can baby have comfort item in crib???

I'm so confused. I was reading the pamphlet our pediatrician sent home for my son's 6 month visit and it says this is a good time to introduce a "comfort item" such as a small blanket or stuffed animal. I agree that this could, in theory, help a lot when my son wakes up in the night (he is at that stage where he isn't necessarily hungry and is learning to put himself back to sleep). He also LOVES rubbing soft objects against his face.....so I could see how this could help soothe him. However, how do you determine what is safe? I know he's old enough to push a blanket or stuffed animal away from his face when he is awake, but isn't the concern that they could cover their face while sleeping and not get enough oxygen? What do you do with your child?

jenn976

Asked by jenn976 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as soon as my daughter could roll over on her own,i put blankets in her crib.she sleeps better snuggled in a blanket her aunt made for her.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• well, my son is now 7mths old. and he has been sleeping with a blanket since he was born. (yeah yeah, bad whatever!) lol. but when i wake up in the middle of the night, i check on him and see if he had brought the blanket over his face or under. mos of the time he had. so i jus pull it back. ALSO, he flips over and ends up on his belly. so i mean, if u want a comfort item, i would get ur lil one one of those looks like a tiny blanket with a animals head attatched to it. my son loves to cuddle, so he uses his blanket to wrap around his legs with. good luck!
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• whatever your opinion dont care... but my son has a small teddy bear that he was given when he came home, and it has been in his crib ever since,and he has also had a small blanket on him for the past few weeks.. granted he doesnt go to bed with it, as its to warm, but when I get up at 4am to pump, i check on him and if he's warm he stays as is, but if hes cold, then I put the blanket on his legs.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think six months is old enough that he could have a small security blanket and or stuffed animal. He should be able to pull things away from his face or roll over if he needs to. I introduced Devin to a blanket I made him when he was around nine months (five months adjusted). Have you been able to get him in his own room yet?
    passion4preemie

Answer by passion4preemie at 6:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2008