Will this be the domino effect?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128572219

Asked by older at 10:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Well, since we are One nation under God, I don't think keeping rights from one group in one state and not in another is at all fair or constitutiona. Of the people, for the people and by the people. The constitution has been ammended (many times--I know, I read it and read it every year with my 8th grade students--as a US History requirement not to--as it is bound to be accused-indoctronite or influence children) and one more ammendment won't cause our country to crumble as many imply it will.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• 1. It cannot be "unconstitutional" I don't care what a federal judge says. The Constitution clearly states that anything not in it is left to the states. Marriage is never mentioned in the Constittution so therefore it is a state issue.

More than 30 states have voted to define marriage as between man and woman. These decisions were made by a vote of the people, some even overturning legislation voted upon by their state legislators.

I find the continued attempts to circumvent the will of the people interesting. IMO, if the SCOTUS ever takes up this case they will kick it back to the states, which is where it belongs. Unless of course the Constitution is no longer worth the paper it was printed on.

The "issue" has nothing to do with being "mean spirited", "bigoted" or "homophobic." It has everything to do with a person's core belief systems.

BTW, it shouldn't be hard to get the 2 million activists they need.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I hope so. You know, in my state ,which is considered as "Liberal", we still have some very conservative people in office...our Governor and Michele Bachman (A tea party fan and participant) who are so against gay marriage and anything gay that I am afraid that our state will be the last to make it legal for gays to marry. It is just plain mean-spirited of them.(Pawlenty and Bachman)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It has everything to do with a person's core belief systems being imposed on those who do not share that belief system.

there, fixed that for you, no charge.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I agree not allowing it is against their constitutional rights.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I wonder if interracial marriage had been put to a vote what would have happened.
    Anonymous

• civil rights are not even suppose to be up for votes, were your rights up for a vote? I don't think so....

good

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Hopefully.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Really, older it has been proven that many judges feel they don't have to consider the Constitution. As far as knowing whats in it, all you have to do is READ it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• This will stay in the states, after all even the ninth court said it belongs in the states.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010