• In the Spotlight:

Do you agree with Palin? Should abortion regulation be up to the state?

I personally believe that it should not be up to any government and it should be up to the physician doing the procedure and the woman.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• no abortion should be up 2 u the state should always make and choose right's for what they think is best for peoples life and choice ever unless it serious like war or etc...
    honey_diphis

Answer by honey_diphis at 11:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Well, someone has to make the law that guarantees that freedom. Should it be the federal government so that all US citizens have the same law? Or should it be by state where only some US citizens have that law? That kind of law only hurts poor women. Rich and middle-class women can drive to another state to get a safe medical procedure. It's poor women who wind up punching themselves in the stomach and drinking a lot of alcohol hoping to get rid of an embryo. There are too many rich people in politics, they just have no clue how the real world operates.
    sallyjrw

Answer by sallyjrw at 11:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• ...We are talking about the difference between state laws and federal laws. I don't think abortion laws should be decided on a state level. It is another way to force morals and religious ideals on people...only slowly and painfully.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No it shouldn't. If left to the state it would be to easy to overturn. I think it's fine the way it is.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• No. If it were up to the states, some would allow it and others would not. Then, abortion services would only be available to (1) women who are fortunate enough to live in a state that allows it, and (2) women with the financial ability to travel to such a state, which could be rather far away. This would place women who could least afford to raise an unplanned child in the position of being unable to terminate if they so desired.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• The reason that people argue that the regulation should be up to th estates is because of the structure of the US Constitution. The Constitution only gives certain, enumerated powers to the Federal government, such as taxation and regulation of commerce. All powers not granted to the Federal government by the Constitution are reserved to the States.

The Federal government has no "police power." That's why most Federal prisoners are there on treasury (wire fraud) violations, or drug (commerce) violations.

The Roe v. Wade is based on the assurance of privacy that is listed in the Constitution. I think it was a real stretch. I am pro-choice, so I am glad that protection of reproductive rights is a reality, but I don't think that the decision had an appropriate Constitutional basis, and for that reason, the people who say that regulation should be up to the States are, in my opinion, technically right.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Nope..It shouldn't be left to the state. All the state needs is some right wing fanatic like Palin to overturn something based on her beliefs. Then that person can also make it illegal for a person to cross over into a different state where it is legal. It should be left as is.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2008