doc confuses me

I went to er cause i had light brownish spotting. I was just paranoid cause it stopped a few minutes later. They did ultrasound and nothing was wrong with me or baby. But doc was busy so he wanted to see me anyways so i had to stay over night to wait for him. When he came he said i was fine and so was baby but put me on strict bed rest. To me that;s just weird. And now the plans we had to go see my mother in law for a week is gone. It was a birthday present for my husband. What would u do? I feel fine and no bleeding just stretching pains thats it.

lifeisgreatbut.

Asked by lifeisgreatbut. at 11:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hmmm....I had the some spotting too and had an ultrasound that showed everything was fine. I was put on bed rest or anything though. That's strange. I'm sure your doc is just wanting to be super careful. You wouldn't want to go against doctors orders and then regret it if something does happen. But I understand how it can kind of seem a little pointless. Maybe you should talk to your doc and find out exactly why he wants you on bed rest or get a second opinion if you can. Good luck and congrats!
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 11:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He's covering his ass. Unless you have something like placenta previa (which he would have told you after the ultrasound) bedrest is NOT evidence-based to prevent miscarriage. He just doesn't wnat to get blamed for not doing enough should a miscarriage occur.

on top of that, bedrest has RISKS. Like the atrophy of your muscles. I spent 6 weeks on bedrest before my daughter was born and even a walk to the back of the grocery store was a HUGE feat after she was born. It was hell.

Personally, I would ignore that order and go to my MIL's house. He is being WAAAYYYY overly cautious.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• he is being cautious for the benefit of both you and your babyl.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• What would you be doing @ MILs? How are you going to get there? How far away?

If it was close by and you could rest when you are there, I would go...now if its a long car ride or plane ride I wouldn't risk it...nothing could be wrong by the bed rest is to try to prevent anything from happening.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would definitely get a second opinion. But moreso then that, I would start trusting your body more. Do you feel that bedrest would benifit you? What exactly caused you to run to the ER for light brown discharge? Have you worked through that fear?

Did you call the advice nurse first? It would probably help to get a little more education about when to go to the ER, and the risks and benefits of procedures, medications, and tests.

Anyway, I am glad everything is okay, but it really sounds like he is practicing liability based medicine rather then evidence based medicine.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well, they are doing wha is best for you and the baby. Just because you are fine now doesn't mean that things won't change. The blood is enough to be something to worry about.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would get a second opinion... Or maybe he meant pelvic rest.. I would go to your MILs and just take it easy, I mean unless you had plans to jump out of a plane or something
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Wow, -44 points? Really? Thanks Cafemom! lol

Sorry, was looking at your level there.
    Memigen

• How far along are you? I would be getting some answers from your doctor. If he doesn't have them, find another doctor.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would try to find a second opinion. The whole situation sounds odd to be. Spotting like that is fairly normal, I had it with both of my pregnancies. So either the dr. saw something he didn't tell you about or he's trying to unnecessarily label you as high risk.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2010