stranger phobia

my son is so scared of strangers (he will be a year in 2 weeks). if we are playing outside and our neighbor starts walking up not even that close yet he starts crying. or we are at the store and someone comes up to say hi he starts crying and latching on to me for dear life. the only thing that seams to help is (we are military) someone is wearing the same uniform my husband or i wear..... please help how can i try to get him to warm up to people.

kmiller

Asked by kmiller at 11:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had stranger anxiety for only about 4 days to one week and so far thats been it. We go to regular playgroups and friends of mine go with me who have children the around the same age group. Doing this helped us alot and now he loves to babble at strangers. Never hurts to try new things try a play group of close friends. I was reading in a baby mag. that if you hold the child as close as they want to be help and just keep talking regular with the other person child or adult that the child has a good chance in about 10 minutes to be ok with that person. Maybe try it a few times and see how it works. Good luck
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 11:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Unfortunately it is a stage all children go through. The main thing you can do is try to act as normal and calm as possible to let your child know that the other person is ok. Introduce them, but don't force your child to shake their hand or get near them; let them feel protected and eventually they will trust whoever you trust.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008