When do you put the kids to bed and wake them up during the summer?

My kids always want to stay up later during the summer, but I don't want them to get in a bad habit of going to bed late and waking up late. What is bed time for your kids? Do you wake them up at a certain time?

Jessica39

Asked by Jessica39 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We've been a little lenient with my 5YO. Normal bedtime is 8:30, she's been going to bed about 9-9:30. I'll start inches that back 15 mins a night starting mid August so we have a few weeks to get back on schedule for Kindergarten...although, she has afternoon session so mornings won't be crazy regardless. I can count on one hand how many times I've woken my children in the morning, lol. I don't generally do that, they always sleep until they want, which is generally between 7:30-8:30. My son is 3, he's a handful when it comes to sleeping. If he doesn't nap, which is preferable, he goes down for the night about 7:30-8 latest. If he does nap? Forget it. Up until at least 10.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I adjust by one hour - I let her sleep one hour later (although she seldom does) and I let her stay up only one hour later as well. Regardless of if it's summer or not, kids still need their sleep!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Our kids go to school at 8 pm during the school year. I send them to bed at 9 during the summer unless there is something going on. they usually are up between 8 and 9 normally during the summer.
    wkv2069

Answer by wkv2069 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• well mine are 2 and 3, so they go to bed at 8, like normal, and they wake up at 7-8ish every day. now, sometimes i let them skip nap time, but if they've skipped nap for like 2 days in a row i make sure they take a nap that 3rd day, and rest around the house if it's been a really busy week. if we do have plans that will keep us out late at night, then i make sure they take a long nap, and i don't bother putting them to bed at 8. in the winter i normally keep up with the nap/bedtimes schedule
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• 9pm is bedtime and 7am is wake time
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We let them stay up as late as 10 on the weekdays during the Summer. 11 on the weekends. We actually make them start going to bed early about three weeks before school starts.

During the school year. they are in bed, if not asleep by 8. 9 on the weekends.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My oldest is 4. He goes to preschool during the school year. I did not change his bedtime for summer. He goes to sleep at 8. On Friday and Saturday night he can stay up until 9 or 10 if he wants but he usually wants to go to bed.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Hunter has a standard bedtime... 9pm.... Depending on his mood. He sometimes gets cranky between 8 and 830.
    Myst1cQueen

Answer by Myst1cQueen at 12:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't. Unless we have a place to go the next day. He stays up all night and sleeps all day. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2010