Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I help my step son with anxiety disorder?

We are having trouble bonding and understanding my stepson who has an anxiety disorder, a lot of his anxiety is directed at his father and me. It's hard to know what to do or how to act, I don't want to push him away but I don't want to pacify him and let him get away with anything and everything.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • I don't know how old he is, but my personal opinion is to get him in to see a licensed Chinese medical practitioner. I use acupuncture, but you actually don't have to do that. There are herbs that can help a lot, and my acupuncturist also uses pressure points. Such as he puts these little metal balls on my ears and when I am upset or anxious I press on them and it's like a sigh of relief.
    Anxiety if very hard to deal with, i feel for you and your son.

    I tried all kids of med that only worked so well if at all, and every time you turn around they are taking them off the market anyway,.
    I can't say enough about Chinese med, just make sure you get a good licensed person as you would in any medical situation.

    Please check it out! good luck!

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • An anxiety disorder is very hard to deal with, especially for a child (assuming he is under 18?). I would first see a professional who specializes in children and non-drug thearpy. Cognitive behavioral therapy and exposure response seem to work very well. With respect to how you can help, I think it depends on how his anxiety manifests itself (i.e. who, what, why, where, when) and whether or not it is a specific anxiety or a generalized anxiety. I believe that as with anything, children usually want to be acknowledged/heard so I would be sure to let him know that you understand and want to help. Make it easy to come and talk to you and his father but also remind him that there are still consequences for misbehaving.

    Answer by Lily23 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Depending on his age he can see a school psychologist, elementary schools often have someone available. The kids will often meet in groups with students dealing with other issues and it's a good way to help them understand why they feel the way they do and how this effects their interactions with others.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • I agree about the psychologist. My ds has autism and we deal with a lot of anxiety. We try to teach him methods to calm down. Counting, distracting himself and just teaching him that when he needs to walk away to let us know so we can help him get somewhere he feels comfortable. If he's acting out, there may be more than anxiety at work. GL

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.