I just don't think this is normal behavior

I'm a mom to 4 kids, three teens and a 2 yr old. So I feel like I should've seen this behavior before if it were normal. We've always thought my 2 1/2 yr old's behavior was odd, but lately it's getting worrisome. The past few months he's been closing his eyes when he's really upset. Night before last he closed his eyes while I was getting him out of his high chair (he was upset that I removed his soiled shirt) and kept his eyes closed thru his entire bath until after I dried him off. He will keep his eyes closed for 15-20 minutes at a time...not opening them once. His latest quirky behavior is hating to have his shirt removed. I have to keep another shirt right there to keep him from getting so upset. When he's upset he closes his eyes and says, "muffin man, muffin man," over and over. He doesn't seem to "like" anyone outside our immediate family. Crowded places and change of routine seem to really set him off. What can i do

tara_d_c

Asked by tara_d_c at 11:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say that you need to talk to the pediatrician and see if they recommend a child psycologist.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would make an appt with your pedi. To me it sounds like he may have a sensory disorder or maybe even a mild form of Autism/Asbergers. Or, it could be quirkiness. Either way, sit down with your pedi and express your concerns. If there is something going on early intervention is key! Good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You should have the doctor test him or recommend someone to test him this sounds not normal

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thank you for your advice. That's what I've been thinking too, but I just keep telling myself he'll outgrow it. Guess I will go ahead and make that appt.
    tara_d_c

Comment by tara_d_c (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't get way over worried about it, but yea, go in and talk to his doctor about it. Kids to weird stuff sometimes (my two year old will suck on her toes when she is mad), but it doesn't mean there is anything "not normal" about it.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I am not an expert on that kind of stuff whatsoever..so don't take my input to heart,lol. BUT...we do have several disorders that run in our family. What you have described sounds very similiar to how my cousin used to behave at that age. He has since been diagnosed with a mild form of Autism. I would make an appointment with your pediatrican and go from there. Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Seems a bit un-normal, however not every kid is the same. So like the ladies above your best bet is consulting a pedi. Good luck and I hope it turns out to be just a weird personality perk he's going through right now, and not autisim etc.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Sounds like he is showing some sensory integration issues. i would have a behavioural and developmental evealutation done
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Muffin man? He must watch a lot of Shrek! lol My brother used to head bang his pillow and say the ABCs when he was mad....he's a "normal" 28 year old guy now....hopefully he's just a little weirdo like my brother.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well hopefully he will be fine like your brother :) We call him muffin man sometimes, because for a while all he would ask for when he was hungry was a muffin. BUT he has watched Shrek with his brother a few times...never thought of that connection to the muffin man! We've had bible school this week and he seems to be having a hard time with the change in his night time routine. Last night he cried so hard when I took his shirt off, and even cried out off and on for an hour AFTER he fell asleep. I feel so sad for him that he gets so upset and I cant console him. He's not screaming or throwing tantrums, just crying or closing his eyes. I've always tried to avoid the things that upset him, like the shirt thing for example, but it's impossible to avoid these things everyday. I'm definitely going to bring it up Friday at his pedi appt.
    tara_d_c

Comment by tara_d_c (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010