Is it uncommon for a 5 yr old boy to want to eat every hour on the hour???

Myst1cQueen

Asked by Myst1cQueen at 12:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine does, but I don't let him. My kids have a snack when they wake up, then breakfast, then snack, then lunch, then nap, then snack, then dinner. They pretty much eat every 2-2 1/2 hours. They have such great metabolisms :)
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 12:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Not if he's gong through a growth spurt,lol. My son is the same way..but he's 10 now and he goes through these periods where all he wants to do is eat eat eat. I just make sure I have healthy snacks available like fresh fruit,yogurt,crackers and cheese. Sometimes I tell him to drink a glass of water and see if he's still hungry..sometimes I think my son confuses hunger with thirst...also...he confuses hunger with boredom.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• dont know but I have a 5yr old girl like that, LOL I think they take spells he may going through a growth spurt and you have to remember his belly doesnt hold that much at a time, maybe try something with a little protein in it, it may stick with him longer
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I never thought about him being bored and wanting food in place of it.... Every time I turn around he is in the kitchen.... Looking for SOMETHING....
    Myst1cQueen

Comment by Myst1cQueen (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My nephew did this a few times when he was 5, it wasn't a constant thing so my SIL didn't worry too much she chalked it up to a growth spurt.
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son goes through phases of eating us out of house and home...and then he grows 2 inches and gains 5 pounds.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• my 3,7 and8 year olds are all like that. just keep blueberries and grapes and other fresh fruits around, healthy snacks that wont hurt to eat too much of.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My 5 year old son is like that, and so is the 8 year old boy I babysit.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 12:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My kids are 5 and 7. When they are sitting in front of the tv, they are asking for snacks. If it isn't a reasonable time to have a snack, I give them something else to do. It's definitely a boredom thing. When they do get snacks, it has to be something healthy.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If they are having a growth spurt yes. My son and daughter do that when they are having one.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010