How to get my son to sleep in his pack and play

My son, 16 months, will not sleep in his pack and play. I am going to be starting school on wednesdays soon and my friend is going to watch him at her house. He really needs to learn how to sleep in his pack and play for a nap otherwise Wednesdays could be very rough. I dont get out of class til after one and will have to pick my daughter up from school around 3 so giving him a nap at his own house is not really an option. I have set it up in his bedroom hoping that if he sleeps in his own surroundings he'll get use it and then I plan to gradually move it from room to room. Hoping that eventually he'll sleep anywhere in it. Yesterday was the first time I did it and he did great! Today however he's been screaming his little head off for almost 1/2 hour. Is there anything I can do to make it an easier tranistion on him? I feel bad jut letting him scream like that, but if he doesnt figure it out Wednesdays could be really rough!

cthrush82

Asked by cthrush82 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When Hunter was about that age, I was on the road alot bc of Michael graduating from Basic & AIT from the Army. Hunter had one and hated it. I honestly cant offer any suggestions bc it never worked for me to try and get him to calm down. I had to let him cry himself to sleep some days at my mom's. He eventually got used to it but it was not an easy road..... GOOD LUCK!
    Myst1cQueen

Answer by Myst1cQueen at 12:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Good Luck. I tried with my son and did not force him to sleep in it. Those things are so hard and uncomfortable.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Please don't let him scream for 30 minutes, that is not going to make him want to sleep in there, it is going to make him terrified! Start working with getting him tired, read a book, rub his back, etc, and then lay him in there. Play some music or something soothing. Letting him cry while he is obviously scared and uncomfortable will make him hate that pack and play.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• that's all we can use when we're on the road - many hotels don't provide a crib or their crib is a pack and play - I put his blanket and his stuffed animals in there, and then we let him be, we've been lucky though - he never cried longer than 10 minutes....
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Be consistent. Try a routine, like when at home do naps in the pack n play. Give special blanket, and or stuffed animal.

He may cry at first. That's alright you'll have to : ( let him cry it out if you want him to be used to it. I know moms don't like to let their young cry, but for this case I think it's one of the only ways. Soon enough the cry time should shorten until it stops.

Last but not least with the routine: You can do a chart, give stickers after he naps in the pack n play. After so many stars give a treat of some sort. OR: Do a story, a sippy of milk, and place in the pack n play, walk away. Keep the routine consistent. They'll know what to expect.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010