Scared not to believe in God?

I question so much but at the same time I'm too afraid not to believe. What does this mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No.
    To be "God fearing" as the Bible says just means that you recognise and accept his authority and realize that he is bigger and greater than you. It means you dont challenge his holiness or worship other things. I love the Lord and follow him just as I believe I should.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If you only believe in God because you are afraid not to, do you REALLY believe? I mean, deep inside is there really a firm belief or just fear? If your belief isn't in your heart, then you don't really believe anyways. You can't MAKE yourself to believe... Find YOUR truth, and find what YOU believe in your heart - not your head.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• A relationship with ANY God should not be one out of fear.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Honestly? If you feel afraid then that means you believe, whether you question it or not. If fthere's real doubt then there's no fear, just a desire to find the truth.
    Now the question here is, do you honestly want to believe in G-d simply out of fear? Or do you prefer to create a relationship with Him? If you want a relationship then maybe you can start by learning the different concepts of G-d each religion has, they're not the same the so-called "Judeo-Christian" G-d is actually very different in Christianity, Judaism and Islam (which by some reason, it's always omitted...). Noe, personally, I'm Jewish and I feel very comfortable and secure with what my religion tells me about G-d, not the vengeful, punishing, jealous G-d presented in other religiojns, but a loving, caring, imvolved figure that just wants a relationship with you. But He lets US choose how and if we want that relationship.

Continued....
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It means the dogma has been ingrained deep in your psyche.  Guilt, shame and especially fear are the powerful weapons that religions use.  And as you can see, it is extremely effective!  You have to re-condition your thinking.  Just keep telling yourself that the only thing to fear is death itself and that will eventually come to us all anyway.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Now, the term "G-d fearing" has been grossly mistranslated from the original Hebrew. The term "yirat shamaim" means being in awe, not being afraid. There is, of course, some degree of "fear" in the same sense a child feel fear from disappointing his parents and getting a punishment, but all the time knowing that there's love. Fear with assurance of love is different than simple fear.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• it's ok not to believe in god. Perhaps you have that fear based on whatever religion you are/were and what they teach/taught. Christians teach it is a sin not to believe and you need to be saved and all that in order to go to heaven. But this is all fear-based. You can still live a wonderful life, be kind, enjoy each day and not believe in a higher power. Doesnt mean you'll "go to hell" ! No one knows what happens after death until it happens. Many religions and spiritual beliefs have teachings based on loving thy neighbor, being kind to mother earth, loving your family, doing good deeds...etc without teaching you have to do this and that because god said so and if you don't you're a bad person, everyone will hate you and you will end up in a bad place after you die.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I used to be the same way. It is kind of hard to explain. I was scared because I believed in God but didn't live my life the way that I was supposed. Now that I have become deeper in my faith and have read the entire Bible it is a different kind of fear. My love is greater than my fear now.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 2:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Sounds as though a little deprogramming could go a very long, long, long way.

Fear mongering is what the christian religions are built upon, what you are feeling is incredibly normal for people exiting the insanity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's okay to question and to have doubts. Read, and pray.  Sit quietly and think about the doubts and the questions you have. It's really okay.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010