1 car family?

So my husband has recently suggested that we sell his car. Previously I have suggested the same thing, because we are paying too much for it, and there are always problems with it, so the idea isn't one I'm opposed to. But he is suggesting that we only need one car. While I agree that that will save us ~500 a month if not more, I'm worried that that might be hard on us. He only works 2 miles from the house, but I can honestly say I don't want to drive him to and from work. And He could take the car to work, but then I'm trapped at home all day. Does anyone else out there live in a 1 car family, what do you do to make things run smoothly?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• can he walk? or is he willing to?
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We were a one car family for about a year and it was miserable for me. I was stuck at home while dh was at work. We have 2 cars now, but we pay cash for everything we have, so no payments. I can see where reducing to one car would be beneficial for you. It may require the sacrifice of you driving him to and from work. You have to meet in the middle! Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Why not sell this car that you have a payment on (I'm assuming that's why it's costing so much) and buy one you can pay cash for. If sell this one and take what you get from that to buy a second hand car (we paid $1200 for a good second hand car) you wouldn't have to go down to just one, but it would still cut out a good chunk of payments every day. And if he only drives if to and from work even if it wasn't perfect, it wouldn't need to be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He wants to bike, but we don't own any bikes. :-) I know he wants to not be driving because he feels lazy driving, but I could see by the time winter comes not really wanting to bike. And really driving him to work wouldn't be that bad I wouldn't mind too much, I'm just thinking that may not be practical when my baby is born.
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• That said, we have always been a one car family, my DH car pools when he can and I try to schedule the kids days around those of family so someone can take them where they need to be - otherwise we are just home full time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I suggested that too, but he has this weird idea that it wouldn't be reliable enough and would end up costing us more. I just don't have the conversation skills to convince him as to how this wouldn't cost us more. I grew up with my family always buying old cars they could pay cash for and really didn't have as many problems as I think he expects and when the car died we didn't invest in fixing it, we went and bought another old car from the late 80's now I suppose it would be a car from the mid-late 90's lol.
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If you sell your car you'll have more than enough to get him a great bike... But with a baby coming I would still suggest getting a cheap car just in case. There will always be days that it's raining or snowing and biking just doesn't work... Plus, I've bought cars for as little as $500 and they have lasted YEARS! In fact we just sold our last car, we had it for 5 years and it only cost us $600 to buy...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• And I'm all for him buying a bike even if we didn't sell the car because I know we need to be healthier. Now I just need to be able to convince him that it's ok to buy a cheap car especially if we don't plan on driving it except when we really need to.
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would go ahead and sell the car and let him bike to work most days. There will be days that he won't be able to bike to work, so those are the days that you either drive him or he takes the car. You don't have to do this forever, pay off your debts and save some money to pay cash for a car. A lot of times the best cars are actually the older ones. You pay a couple hundred dollars for it, it's already had it's major repairs from the previous owner and it goes forever before it needs anymore work. It may not be pretty, but so what? I was just thinking about my car today. We bought it used, I have been driving it since 2004 and it's been a dream. It has only been in the shop once that whole time for anything 'major' (sensors) and it cost several hundrend dollars to repair. Oil changes, tires and new belts are the only other things I have done to this car. I have saved THOUSANDS of dollars in car payments.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• we are a one car family; we have also been a no car family. mostly, we take public transit or walk

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010