My 3 year old is now telling me to SHUT UP!

Ok, so my DD who is 3 picked up what my DH said to our dog after excessive barking....Shut up! Now she says it to me when I am getting ready for work or she is bored or just for the heck of it. I have tried timeouts, a spanking, talking with her and she will say she is sorry but then the next day...she is right back to it! What to do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 2 1/2 year old did had this problem. I think he got it from the exact same situation, too (noisy dogs, grrr!).

I was very stern with him and told him that was a bad word and it was mean. Using the word "mean" really gets to him so I think that helped bring in the point. Once I gave him a spanking (because he was also completely disobeying me at the time, too) and another time I just gave him a firm talking to. He hasn't used it since then. Hopefully your little one figures it out soon, too.

Remember to not make a HUGE deal out of it, either. Sometimes they say things because they like the reaction they get!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Did you tell her what to say instead?

I know that sounds a little obvious but when you're little, sometimes something gets stuck in your head (the same way a song does).

I don't do spanking or timeout's so my child is used to being redirected. I would just keep reminding him of the right words to use, like "keep it down".

If she's just doing it to see how you will react the best thing to do is ignore it. If it has no social relavance for her she won't use it.

And...tell DH to watch his mouth! :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Every single time consistently I would immediately address it, tell her that is not nice and unacceptable, and that it's disrespectful.....give her a time out or a spanking on the butt. EVERY time. Don't let even one slip. My 3 yr old said it once to me, and he knew it was bad as soon as he said it- and he never did again (it's like he had to test it out that one time). He also got it from us saying that to the dog, but I also had a feeling he would pick it up so I let him know at the time we don't ever say that to people, only to the dog when she's barking a lot. He seemed to not really ever challenge that. I also will call him on every little thing he picks up that may be even a little bit disrespectful- its just not acceptable to us, and he does really well with it. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Be consistent. Let her know that its not nice to say and remind her each time. Ask you DH to use other words when yelling at the dog or maybe give him a "time out" for saying it. Good luck!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010