I'm trying to find good dieting tips for my 10 year old son. He's 35 pounds overweight and I can't get him to stop eating. Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

yecats820

Asked by yecats820 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• He is akid still and must to have a lot of energy, I would star with some exercise, not a routine just take him to the park with some friends, or to the pool, buy him a new bike, and about the food make him eat a lot of veggies sometimes is not easy but you can find some fun recipes for kids with veggies on the internet. I really don't think that a real diet is healthy not even for a grown up. Good Luck!!
    Lizygoinghooray

Answer by Lizygoinghooray at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is he active in any sports? Maybe get him in a league of some kind...baseball,football,basketball,soccer,swimming...you can usually find one to sign up with at your local rec center.
    Its hard to tell a 10 year old NOT to eat,lol. I have a 10 year old son myself. And if I say NO, you can't eat right now..lately he's just been taking whatever he wants out of the cabinet and then I find wrapper evidence,lol.
    So, I've been making sure to keep in stock the healthy foods I know he enjoys such as
    ~apples(these are his favorite...plain or sliced with peanut butter for dipping)
    ~pb and j sandwhiches
    ~Lowfat cheese and a veggie cracker
    ~Yogurt
    ~Frozen Gogurts
    ~Grapes
    ~Fruit salad
    ~Toast
    ~MultiGrain Cheerios (he'll eat a bowl for a snack)
    The list is countless.
    Try including him in the decisions of what to buy..take him to the grocery store with you and talk about what foods are healthy to snack on.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We don't do diets around here we make healthy eating changes. We bought the small snack baggies and divided up the snacks we buy.We buy more fruits and veggies than junk food. Most of our meals are made of veggies and the meat and carbs area side.we also play together, go on bike rides, swim etc.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 1:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would NOT put him on any diet without talking to his doctor. He could be going through puberty and will be chunky until his height and weight catch up. Teach him how to make healthy choices, exercise and do activities outside instead of sitting on his behind watching tv, playing on the computer, etc. Do it as a FAMILY. Make healthy choices and changes as a family and it will be easier for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He shouldn't be trying to lose weight at his age, he should be trying to maintain the weight and grow in to it. Exercise would be his best bet. What does he enjoy? Building muscle will really help him not only burn calories but he'll grow in to the weight he has and be much healthier. Would he enjoy team sports? Something like ultimate frisbee? Swimming? Even something like golf would get him out and walking a lot.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If the doctor is worried about his wieght then they should be able to give you a diet/calorie plan. If you would like some healthy meal/snack ideas that i never have trouble getting my nieces and nephews to eat jsut send me a message
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Encourage activity. Do it with him. go for walks. Swimming. Active outside games. It's not about eating - per se, it's about balancing caloric intake with what you're burning off. Our family tries to "earn" screen time. You need to read or be active for a set time in order to earn an equivalent amount of minutes on the PC or the TV. It gets the screens off and the activity levels up.

Keep only healthy snacks in the house. When I don't stock the junk, they don't eat it. ;) If I keep healthy alternatives in the house, *that's* what they reach for. Put out a platter of fresh cut veggies on the counter with a low-fat dip. My picky eater will forgo asking me for snacks on those afternoons as he grabs carrots sticks. If you buy the occasional sweet treat, keep it low-fat and low-cal. We don't buy soda as a rule. If we have it, it's a rare treat. We stock water, milk and things like V-8 Splash. They LOVE it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree with the others, I would encourage him to be active, maybe enroll him in a sport. I would also clear the junk food out of the house (if there is any to begin with) and I would bring in healthy alternatives. I would offer fruits/veggies as snacks and if possible I would portion them out ahead of time and keep them in containers for him to grab when he is hungry. I would also look at the size of his food portions, and I would cut them back to the recommended amount per serving.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Encourage activity and have the entire family start eating healthier. If you don't buy the junk then he can't eat it.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The more you tell him to stop eating things the more he is going to want to eat them. My youngest was over weight as a preteen. He grew 8 inches .
    valkay

Answer by valkay at 2:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2010