Do you think folks would make healthier food choices of fresh fruits and veggies were cheaper.

Healthy eating habits are not always easy. Buying fresh fruits and veggies can be expensive and sometimes folks have to choose between that box of mac and cheese and a salad. The salad will not fill up hungry children as long as the carbs in the mac and cheese. Do you think we Americans would buy more fresh fruit and veggies if they where cheaper?

Beth497

Asked by Beth497 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i would!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes I do and I think the schools would provide more healthier options also especailly if parents would pay their bills
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Possibly? Probably? I know when I was broke before children, I didn't eat much produce. But even if we were broke now I'd make sure my son got good nutrition.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would buy more fruits and vegetables if they were cheaper, but my only concern is it going bad fast.
    yecats820

Answer by yecats820 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It depends on the person I suppose. There are areas of the US where the norm is to eat unhealthily. Sometimes cultural habits cannot be changed, even with a financial change.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I know I would. I have to shop for a family of 4 for about 80 a week and that includes diapers and cleaners. We eat a lot of Mac&Cheese and frozen veggies. It owuld be lovely to make homemdae mac and cheese with whole wheat noodles and have fresh green beans but it's just to much. ON the same lines chicn breast are wayt more expensive than 20/80 ground beef.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I give up other things so we can eat healthy when I was serious about it we started a garden to help us grow vegies but I still have to buy fruit. So to make that happen I give up breads or buy dollar store cleaning supplies. because even ten dollars worth of fruits and protien bars and soy milks is better then none. it also helps to buy only what you are going to eat.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No. You have to educate people on how to choose, cook and eat healthy, not just make healthy foods cheaper. It won't do them any good to buy fresh vegetables or fruits if they have no idea how to use them in a meal plan or how to get the best nutritional choices for their money. MANY families buy fresh produce without a plan of how to use it, and half that produce goes bad before they can figure it out. EDUCATION is just as important as AFFORDABILITY.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• In a sense they are cheaper than other things. It's all about learning how to prepare them. For instance, a case of coke is around $7.40, box of Hamburger Helper and meat, around $5.00 give or take. For that, you can buy a couple of sweet potatoes, red potatoes, basil, clove of garlic, a red onion and make a potato dish. Same with the ingredients for stir fry. A bag of oreos goes for $3.00. You can buy a bunch of bananas and a couple of apples for the same price.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010