How do you get a child who is two use to another baby on the way?

My child is two yrs old and I am having another baby that is due in Dec. She is an only child and I don't know how she is going to take to the new baby. Any ideas.

Little_Mamma230

Asked by Little_Mamma230 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have her help with getting ready for the baby. Let her help pick out things for the baby. They have books about becoming a big sister my dd liked the Dora one.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My girls are 20 months apart, and I felt it was a great age. I just talked with my daughter about the baby all the time, she came with me to my appointmens and got to listen to the heartbeat, she sang songs to my belly, etc. Just get your daughter really involved and excited about being a big sister. But also let her know that you love her very much too. She will love having her own baby. :)

The best advice I recieved about reducing/eliminating jealousy was this: Let your daughter hold the newborn as much as she wants as often as she wants, even if the baby is sleeping. We did this, and after about a week our daughter was used to the baby and didn't ask as much. I feel it helped a lot, and I think it made me less stressed as well, as I helped her hold the baby, and realize that if the baby woke up, it was not the end of the world. It was a beautiful time. :) The still play very well and love each other very much.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I agree with squish - - talk about the baby, have her tell your tummy stories and sing songs to it :) Once the baby comes, have her involved - let her help you by bringing you pacifiers, blankets, diapers, etc. Let her hold her new baby often, and continue to have her tell stories and sing songs to the baby. When my son was born, we had "him" give her a special big sister present as well - - she thought is was pretty neat that her new baby brother knew she liked animal puzzles :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• She'll just get used to the new baby on her own. Sibling rivalry is totally normal, and to be expected. Ours was 13 months old when her brother was born, and nearly a year later neither of them are showing signs of it. Maybe you'll get lucky :D
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 8:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My nephews live w me and I was also their nanny when I had my daughter. I bought Blues Clues, they have a dvd about Blue getting a baby brother. I also let my nephews pick some stuff out for the baby when we went shopping, toys, clothes, even her pack n play. They got excited.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010