Is a fetus the same as a child?

Let's say you're driving on a bridge and there is a child in the road. You only have two options (a) hit and kill the child or (b) swerve the car and drive off the bridge. Now, is that the same thing as deciding whether to have an abortion to save the life of the mother? Is the child on the road the same as a developing fetus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course, it has a heartbeat!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'm not touching that analogy. It's too simplistic. Pregnancy, motherhood, and, well, life, is much more complex than that. It's never a "this or that" decision. There is so much more that factors into such a choice.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No, it's not the same thing. If you drove off a bridge, you might survive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• no it's not the same. A child can survive out side the womb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Fetus: Latin word meaning Unborn Child

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• of course it is!! In school I learned that every living thing has at LEAST one cell! At the time of conception cells start multiplying!!
    GabbyP.

Answer by GabbyP. at 1:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• What about the Emergency brake??
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think the better question is...Is it a living human being that has unalienable human rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!? For everyone who is pro-choice/pro-abortion...Thank Your mothers for being Pro-Life!
    Anonymous

• God said life begins at conception. So the minute the sperm fertilizes the egg it is a human.
    2boysmom722

Answer by 2boysmom722 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My mom is pro-choice. She chose to have me. I don't know anyone who is pro-abortion.
    sallyjrw

Answer by sallyjrw at 7:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008