10 yr old afraid of the dark

My SS was told by his cousin that the house is haunted even though it's a new home (built by SO 10 years ago and nothing dramatic has happened in it). Prior to that, he would sleep upstairs in his room just fine. Now, he doesn't want to sleep up there even if there is a light on. How do we work past this?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I used to be scared of the dark at that age too...(still am sometimes lol). We lived in a house that had some strange happenings and we all felt it was haunted. That and the fact that I used to sneak and watch movies like Night Mare on Elm Street didnt help,lol.
    10 year old have some pretty wild imaginations.
    But I would sleep in my room...IF I had a small light on.
    I would just give it some time. Maybe spend a night or two in there with him...even if just to see if anything weird IS happening in there, you never know.
    Talk to him about it, ask him exactly what it is that is makinghim afraid.Is it a sound, something he sees? Maybe you can turn the lights off and find the root of it..it can be somethign simple as a shadow or the sound of an electric appliance kicking on at night.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I say just humor him.. At this age I would see something on TV and let it get to me, I still do that to this day, I went through an afraid of the dark phase for a long time around this age, just be patient and don't dismiss it.. let him sleep on the couch if need be, I Would still at 20 sleep in my own apt with a light on in the livingroom and still certain nights at my house I do this.. sometimes its just a comfort thing to be able to see.. good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Give him Ghostbuster spray? Fill a generic spray bottle with a mix of water & nice smelling herbs and tell him that they're a special spray to keep ghosts away, then spray it in his room just before bed. Maybe you can find a Ghostbuster graphic online and affix it to the bottle, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010