What ismarriage to you?

I've only been in one relationship in my whole life and it was with DH. We met at 14, started dating at 16 and got married at 19. We lived in different states for two years, and after that time still knew that we would be together forever. Our relationship has been one challenge after the next, but we love each other, so we pull through.
When I hear about women talking to other guys, I always wonder why they do that? Why are they married and yet it seems they are always looking for something else? My sister did this, she married a man cuz she got pregnant, they fought the whole time and got a divorce... are people even hearing the vows coming out of their mouth anymore?

Sorry, just a vent I guess...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• My hubby is not only the love of my life but he is my best friend and I think that def helps, along with knowing that we WILL disagree and that it isn't ALWAYS going to be peachy keen, LOL. We go to each other for everything from financial, emotional, physical and moral support. People I think sometimes get married just to get married and see if it will work. It's sad that they will spend their whole life just searching and searching.
    I am very blessed to be married to the greatest man and would do anything for my marriage and my husband!!
    ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• To me Marriage is just a legal contract that gives two parties legal rights over the other... Medical & financial rights to be exact. Beyond that I have seen no real point to marriage. It's not about love or sex, it's about legalities. I don't need to be married to know I love my partner, nor do I need to be married to have sex or children. On the other hand if something were to happen I do need to be married to know that this person I have chosen has the right to make medical choices on my behalf and they aren't being left up to other family members or some random doctor...

I think though that it depends too on the vows... Our vows didn't even suggest that we would stay married forever - I hope that we do, I love him and plan to do that forever, but if we don't love each other I see no point in being married. If you see things differently, then live differently, but not everyone does.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• its sad.. I'm with you on that one. I take my vows seriously, for me, intimacy is very important, so I will not entertain iby forming other relationships wit other guys (I'm not just saying sexually, but even talking about personal subjects with other guys, or be alone with iother guys without my husband... my marriage is way too important. I realize that love is not just a feeling, but an ACTION and a CHOICE! So, even t hough things are hard.... and they have been VERY hard many times, I choose to love my husband the best way I know how and stay commited... until death! Divorce to me is like a death, and not something I ever want to experience, no do I want any marriage to experience that either. I think someitimes couples have these unrealistic expectations about love and marraige., or there has been other issues that they deal with that are not what a marriage should ever look like. Its heartbreaking :(
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's a commitment to the person that you love.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I dont think that everybody is as luck as you to find the love of your life at 14........... I am blessed now with a great man..... but i had to go through some challenges..... :) good for you that you have a good man! just pray for your sister to find one too............ :)
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• sacred!

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Meeting at 14 is no recipe for a lasting relationship. No offence. Becuase you both haven't dated enough to know what else is out there. And the only thing that binds your relationship is all the time invested. It would of been better to go to separate colleges date and then be together if it was meant to be. And you will have future issues like it or not. As for other people, they always are looking for the next best thing for them. Never happy with what they have or never should have been married in the first place. And getting pregnant doesn't mean you have to get married. Why make two mistakes? I mean really how does that make sense to any woman? Getting pregnant isn't a mistake, it's preventable. Having car accident is a mistake! So, if one gets pregnant its by choice and unfortunately too many women and girls get pregant just to be loved. What a way to ruin their selfish lives and their childs.
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I met my husband in Jan. 11, 1999 and we married the 26th of Feb ('99). We have had our troubles, but when we started putting God first in our marrage everything fell into place. A good marriage should never have secrets no matter how much it hurts to talk about some things it will just bring you closer in the end.
    steph29906

Answer by steph29906 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• arguing and being committed to your best friend and worst enemy for life??? lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• People seek solace and attention from others because their emotional needs are not being taken care of at home. Maybe the spouse works too much or plays videos or drinks or ....(*fill in the blank) but ignores his spouse who wants and needs his love and attention. When he doesn't give it and someone else will they become friends. It seems harmless at first then there builds an emotional attachment. Some women can see it for what it is and walk away. Some want more. I think it's great that your dh provides you with all you need. Not all men are like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010