How old should a boy be to get his ear pierced?

My son is 6 and a half, and he wanted to get his ear pierced, like his daddy. So I explained to him the process of it, and how he would need to keep it clean for a long time, and that it was going to hurt, and he still wanted it done. So I took him to the mall, and he LOVES it.

Would you allow your boy to get an earing? At what age? What about if they wanted more than one? What about getting their nose, eyebrow, lip or tongue pierced?

I am ok with letting my son get his ear or ears pierced as many times as he wants at this age. I think for the face piercings I would want him to be older than 12, and for the tongue, probably 16, minimum.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Boy or Girl, I have the same rule for ALL piercings... THEY have to make the choice, not me. If my child was 6 and wanted it done, we would take him or her to a piercer and have it done with a needle - never a gun! I have never seen a reason not to let them have them done if he/she wants them. They don't hurt anyone and if done professionally there is little risk with them, so why not let them?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i would honstly say that have an earing in at age 6 wether for boys or girls is dangerous. they play hard and physically at that age and for years to come. it really comes down to what YOU are comfortable with momma. If you think he understands what he is wanting and you are ok with granting him this then i say go for it
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ears...when they are old enough to know the process.

nose, eyebrow, lip or tongue pierced= not until they are 18. Tongue and navel piercings are there for 1 reason and 1 reason only ( I have them so I know). as for the rest. When they are 18, they can make the decisions to alter their physical appearance in a way that may not return to normal. Then it's their issue when they have people look at them strangely or cannot get employment.

I am not saying that I have an issue with facial piercings, I just know how the human race can be biased when it comes to them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son really wanted to get one when he was 8 years old. I told him when he was older...and a year later, he still really wanted one. So I finally let him have it done when he was 9. The ear piercer explained everythig to him on how to take care of it ..and he did and he still does. I'm actually suprised at how well he's followed through and has taken care of it,lol. He changes it out when he wants to, he cleans the earrings and he cleans his ear periodically (more often when it was first done) He's had it over a year now. looks cute on him :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• 16
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ears when they are old enough to ask for and take care of it. Facial piercings 16, tongue 18.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 1:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• WOW, Nikki - Judgmental much? I have piercings and tattoos and not only have I never had an issue getting job I own my own business and have no issue getting clients. He's 6, if he doesn't like them when he's 16 or 36 he can take them out... Who the hell are you to decide who is and isn't a "REAL PARENT"? WOW!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• What Jademom07 said.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Actually Nikki, I'm not a teen, and I don't have any piercings. My husband has one in his ear, and so does my father. My son now has one, in his ear. I fail to see how this will eliminate 50% chances of him getting a job when he is older. He can always take the earring out. And as far as the facial piercings go, he hasn't expressed any desire to get them, but if he did, I would allow it. I do spend quite a bit of time thinking about my kids futures, and what I do and do not want for them. But ultimately their future is about what they want for themselves, and they may never want to work in 50% of places anyways. That doesn't mean they will be any less successful, happy or fulfilled in their lives.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Anything more than an earring? 18. An adult.

An earring? 15-16 ... maybe 14 depending on the kid, but absolutely not younger than that.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010