Any moms use DAYCARE?

How much does it cost? Are you confident in daycare programs? Whats the PROs and CONs from your point-of-view?

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• WE put our daughter in daycare while my husband and I took classes. It was about three hundred to four hundred a month. Very expensive, but in some ways it was worth it because my daughter got better with talking, using the potty and she got off the bottle. But this fall she'll be going to pre-school. That is MUCH MUCH cheaper. It will only be $500 per quarter.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son goes to an Early start center type thing. So it's not really a daycare... but.. IMO, it helps with a lot. Kids kind of feed off of each other. They learn from each other. I can tell you the biggest con, IMO, is germs by far. They share a lot more sick germs....
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My DD has been going to daycare since she was 18 months old. Her day care goes all the way up to 1st grade. She is currently in preschool. We pay 160 a week for her right now and that not only includes the cost of her classroom but breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack. I love her classroom, there is a total of 20 kids in the room with 3 teachers. They have a structured day of learning, exploring and play. The only con I have about her class is that things get "lost" a lot - a missing shoe, a lost toy, missing swimsuit. Alot of that has to do with the size of the class and age of the kids but other than that I love where she goes.
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 1:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• How can I go about finding a daycare in my area?
    navajomama7

Comment by navajomama7 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son attends a home day care. It's $195/week full time and that's the lowest price I found at a place I was comfortable with. The lady who runs the day care is fully certified and an inspector comes out once a month to check up. The downside with a home day care is that it's easier for the provider to get away with certain things, such as not always having up to date, accurate immunization records for the kids, a daily sign in/out sheet, etc. but with such a small amount of kids it doesn't make much of a difference. I trust the lady he's with and she's very clean, very thorough, and very attentive to the kids. While I wish I could be home all day and teach my son everything myself, he is still learning just as much, if not more at day care and at the same time learning to interact with other kids.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I work from home and always kept my little boy at home with me while I worked. It got to be really hard to get my work done and I felt bad because he wasn't around any kids his age. I found a place about 5 mins away that is $15 a day. So he goes for four hours a day that way I can get my work done and he can have his social hour and still come home and take a nap in his own bed. Works out very good for me. Except he did pick up some pretty bad habits that I'm not so happy about, but we are learning to deal with that.
    fapalmtreemom

Answer by fapalmtreemom at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I pay $137/wk for FT M-F care. It's a home daycare, and my DD has done great there. She has learned so much, made friends, and has a really caring DCP.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We go to a national chain daycare in our neighborhood and love it. My daughter has been in daycare since she was 12 weeks old. I looked at a lot of websites and narrowed my list down to four. Then I went and visited each daycare and talked with the directors and teachers to make the best choice. Our daycare is expensive, but so worth it. We pay $225 a week for full-time care. It includes all meals, but we do have to bring our own diapers and wipes.

There are about a dozen kids in her class and three teachers. They do all kinds of fun art projects and have been doing "summer camp" activities for the past two months, which includes things like a petting zoo, fireman and police visit, water play days, ice cream days, and dress up days. They have a full curriculum and have parent-teacher conferences. All of the learning is age appropriate. My daughter loves going to "school."
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010