catholic vs baptist

My DH and i are undecided whether to raise our child catholic or baptist we are both baptized as Catholics and have never been interested in religion because to be honest we find the Sunday service rather boring to go to. my bff has taken me to her church which is baptist and i was revived with open arms. I asked her what the children did since i notices there was non in the church and she took me to one of the class rooms the church has and told me they sing children songs about god and do coloring activity's to learn about the bible. mine and my DH's family are catholic so i dont know if i should continue the tradition and just baptize her as a catholic or introduce her to the baptist religion and wait for her to decide when and how she will accept god??

teen_mommy1133

Asked by teen_mommy1133 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Catholic and my Husband is Baptist. While all our kids have been baptized in the Catholic church we mainly only attend my Husbands church. We had agreed to raise them in both churches and let them decide but honestly they have attended and been way more involved with the baptist church then the catholic. I doubt they will even get their first holy communion. A lot of that is my fault, but as long as the kids are happy and are introduced to God, Jesus and Mary then I am happy.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• How about just raising them Christian, why do you need a specific denomination? If you really can't pick between the two then you obviously don't see any real pros or cons about either side. To me, it's more important to raise your child to love your god and follow him out of that love, it's got nothing to do with where they go to church.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think you should make your decision based on what you believe in and what you want to teach your children rather than if the service is boring or has childcare. I agree that a Catholic mass can be boring if you don't understand what is going on, you might consider learning about it first before you reject it. Also, one parish can be very different from another, some have nurserys and others don't - it really is dependent on the members of that parish.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm Catholic and stop practicing years ago. Any organized religion is bad, period! Just be spiritual , respectful and live a good life. We all die, why live by false and man-made proficies. Has any religion proved that God exists? Nope!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You should do a google search to see what differences there are between the two. Then make a decision. For the most part I think the two believe in mainly the same things. As long as you lay a foundation with Christ it should not matter.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 2:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It doesn't matter as long as there is God and good morals practiced in your family.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• YOu need to find a place of worship that works for you. Study up and figure out where you 'want' to be. If you like the baptist church and everything about it is agreeable to you then go! If you find out a non-denominational church is a good fit- then go there! YOU have to do what is best for you and your family should understand. I would do some research and 'shop around' Find the church that not only is welcoming but also meets your spiritual needs and faith principles. ONce you have found what works for your family you raise your children in that faith. With an open mind. Your children , like you from your parents, may choose another path. There is no harm in raising you child 'as' a certain denomination or faith, in fact in the early years it's less confusing, but also teaching them that other faiths exist. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think you should find a church you like, and go there. While you are going there keep learning about both denominations as well as some others if you like. There's a lot of info online and at the library. You don't have to make an absolute decision right now, it's a great experience to study and learn.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• neither

Wait and let THEM decide.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would wait and let them decide but if you want a family church then I'd go baptist. Their teachings are closer to the bible. I knew a lot of kids who gave up on the catholic church, some just left and some came over to the baptists.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010