Really high HCG at 5 weeks?

Hi everyone!
I had a question I hope some of you can give me some insight?

So, Friday I had a lot of bleeding and since I was only five weeks I was told an ultrasound wouldn't tell me much so they sent me for bloodwork instead. I was going to get checked on Fri. Sun., and again today (Tue.). My numbers were..

Fri- 20,483

Sun- 40,029

and Tue- 51,144

These numbers seem really high to me? Has anyone else seen anything similar? Could it mean twins? I am really trying not to get my hopes up too much because I would love twins, but I don't really want to be disappointed at the ultrasound if there is only one... Thanks for any input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It could mean a mulitple birth or it could mean ectopic pregnancy. Or it could just be high for now and work out to be a normal, single baby pregnancy. Mine was high with my last pregnancy at 5 weeks and my progesterone was dropping. I took prometruim until 14 weeks and my son was perfect! Good luck and I hope you have answers soon.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• High numbers can also be an indication of a molar or partial molar pregnancy. A friend of mine had a partial molar last year. I hope and pray that you have a healthy little baby in there!!!!!!! Good luck :)
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 7:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010