Worried about my ultrasound

I'm going in for my 3rd ultrasound in about 2 hours and I'm starting to get nervous. We were originally told that we would only get two ultrasounds and then when they were doing my second ultrasound at 20 weeks 6 days I noticed that they were taking lots of pictures of the heart and seemed to take longer than normal on it, and then the ultrasound tech must have noticed I noticed because she said that the heart looked good she was just trying to get a good picture of all 4 chambers then she moved on (never getting a picture of all 4 chambers) and towards the end of the ultrasound she briefly went to the face and spent about 20 seconds there before saying we would need to come in for another ultrasound because they needed to check for a cleft palate since she had her face covered. Should I be prepared for a possibly bad news ultrasound?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't worry. Sometimes they have trouble seeing everything due to baby's position. I'm sure your little one is just perfect!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't worry. Sometimes they have trouble seeing everything due to baby's position
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would try not to stress about it. Usually your doctor will go over any ultrasound results with you and if something was wrong your doctor should have said something. Try not to worry, like PP said sometimes they can't get a clear view of everything they need to check because of how the baby is positioned.
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't worry and stress myself over it. Stress isnt' good for the baby. I agree with PP's, if soemthing was wrong (or they thought somethign was wrong) your doc should have sat down with you at your last appointemtn to talk about it.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 2:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No, don't worry. If your baby was in danger, you would of been told at that visit. She is just rechecking for cleft palate, she can't move the babies hand. Don't stress yourself. If something was wrong they would of made an appt. to see a highrisk doctor for a more detailed ultrasound. I had that with my second child, because the medicine I take could cause heart defects in the baby.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i agree with everyone about everything being fine. let us all know how it goes, do you know the sex yet?
    FallonBlackmon

Answer by FallonBlackmon at 2:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No - I had tons of ultrasounds due to concerns about a heart defect, but one of the extra ultrasounds I had was due to them not seeing the stomach full. I had to come back in one week so they could see her tummy full and make sure it was filling/emptying properly. Sometimes they just need to do a recheck on things they can't see. I wouldn't worry.

Answer by missanc at 4:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Just got back, we are scheduled for another ultrasound at a high risk doctor. But the doctor kept telling us that it wasn't because I am high risk, and that the heart looks fine they just want to be sure. And that the high risk doctor has better ultrasound machines. So I'll just keep reminding myself that she says it should be fine and they just want to make sure. Thanks everyone!
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010