How long will a kitten nurse on its mother?

My cat had her kittens on APril 30...that was 11 weeks and 5 days ago. We've given 4 of the kittens away and have 3 of them left...and those 3 are still nursing. They are like more than half the size of her now and it just seems kinda funny,lol.
How long do kittens nurse on thier mother when they are not seperated? We plan on keeping 2 of the kittens...just looking for a home for one more of them.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I think if the mother lets them they will nurse off her for a long time... My mom has this one cat who has babies twice a year so she is always full of milk and my mom ended up keeping a male kitten who nursed with the next two litters lol.. it looked really funny with a bunch of babies and a full grown cat nursing off her at the same time, but she let him.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 1:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• until you seperate them. we had a 2 yr old cat that still tried to nurse. it was weird.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Just like any mother. As long as she'll allow them too. It depends on the Cat mom!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• until the mom cat has had enough...I took in a cat and her kittens as a foster care kinda thing and the kittens were 3 months old and still nursing
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• A mother usually weens her kittens herself. Outdoor cats usually do it after 6-8 weeks, but some indoor cats might not until they're older. It depends on the mamma cat.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• well...we were given a kitten back in may...it only nursed 5 wks....and our cat is now on reg. kitten food...but when i visited the friend who gave us the cat, she still has two kittens from that litter, and i was surprised that they were still lying there nursing! guess they nurse until the mamma cat weins them...idk.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 1:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010