Differnt rules for different genders?

Do you have different rules for your sons and daughters? I was reading the answers about the piercing a boys ears and was surprised at the amount of moms that said not til 14+ but I know how many moms pierce their baby girls ears at 3mos or younger... Which made me wonder how many other rules parents have differently for the two genders? In our house a rule is a rule - no matter boy or girl... But what about you? Piercings? Dating? Driving? Working? Do you have different rules or are they the same for everyone?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I only have a boy, but I can understand different rules for different people. Everything is situational and life isn't always fair.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well, I only have a son, but my husband and I have already disagreed over this. He was saying how if we had a daughter, she wouldn't be able to date until she 18, but that our son can date as early as he wants. He's wrong, of course, because I have a say in too, lol, but I thought this was ridiculous.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I only have a boy, but if I had (or ever have) both, it's going to be equal. My parents always gave my older brothers more leeway and I hated it. I won't treat my kids the same way.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i only have girls - rule on piercings...they can have their ears pierced when they are ten or older in the regular spot on the lobe. if they want something more shocking or a piercing in strange spots on their body...they have to be 18 or older. same rule goes for tats - 18 or older and paying out of their own pocket!
    i grew up with a brother...and it was just an understood rule that he was not allowed to get a piercing until he was 18 and living out of their house! my brother was not into the piercing thing anyway.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 1:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Skittles I understand what you are saying... Different PEOPLE need different rules and limitations. But I'm referring to making rules based solely on gender... Individual maturity or something is different, and in those cases the rule would be something like "When you're mature enough to _____ you can do it" which would still be the same rule regardless of gender... But it's the girls can _____ at this age and boys can do it at this age that I was talking about here.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I had my daughters ear pierced when she was 2 months old..my son wanted to have his done badly so I finally let him when he was 9 years old. Why? Because I think its more common for little girls to have thier ears pierced than boys.
    Other than that..I don't know really..what other different rules I will have for them...they are almost 10 years apart,lol. So...I'm sure with time and more experience..yeah, my rules are bound to change. My oldest is like my experiemental kid..try it on him and if it works..it works for the next kid,lol. I don't know. I think I will pretty much go with the flow of things as they come and handle each situation with each individual child differently.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i would have to say that with the ears it would be different rules bc it is more common for a girl to want and to have her ears pierced and not for a boy. as far as everything else i would have to think that they would have the same rules. but i only have girls and it will be a while before they have to deal with those rules
    FallonBlackmon

Answer by FallonBlackmon at 1:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Beyond piercings though... What about other rules? Are they different in your house for boys or girls? And why?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• That's something I can't really answer until I have one of each. I'm not sure I'd be as comfortable letting a toddler girl have as much naked time as I've let my son have, but won't cross that bridge until I get there. Piercings? I would never pierce a baby's ears. For boy or girl, they will be allowed to get their ears pierced whenever they are old enough to make the decision themselves and understand that it is a permanent body modification. Driving- whatever age they pass driver's ed and their driving test. Working-as long as they can keep their grades up. Dating-we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I think the major house rules should be the same for everyone, but I can definitely see giving privileges to one and not the others because they are older or have shown more responsibility.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 2:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• ncbirdie - that's how we are too... Major rules are all the same - male or female - beyond that discipline, punishment and privileges can and should be altered to fit each situation and child - again though, regardless of gender...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010