Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What doctor would you go to? adult content

I got new insurance at the beginning of the year, and I've been putting off seeing a doctor...
I haven't been to a doctor in a over a year, and I never followed up on what I sort of started.
I have PCOS, and the weight issues that come with it. I am ALWAYS tired, and am struggling a bit with depression. I have NO sex drive. I tend to go weeks and even months without a period, and then have a long, heavy one that lasts several weeks. I am anemic.

I haven't seen a gyno since my daughter was born 3 years ago.

If you were me, would you make an appointment with a gynocologist, or a primary care physician?

Answer Question

Asked by sojourner. at 1:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Health

Level 11 (541 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I would start with a primary care physician and then a gyno.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • maybe both, it could be they could both help you out in different areas

    Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • For this, I would go to a primary care physician who will refer you out to a specialist if need be

    Answer by beyondhopes at 1:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Start with the primary care physician

    Answer by Decker at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • Go the a regular doctor first.

    Answer by louise2 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • I would go to my primary care physician and get his analysis of what is going on. I would then see the GYN if that is what he thought was necessary.

    Answer by NannyB. at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • You already know you have PCOS. I would go to the gyno for treatment.

    Answer by ncbirdie at 2:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • My insurance would make me see my primary doctor first and then get a referral to a GYN if necessary.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 2:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • It's good to have a PCP for general health concerns, someone you can go to for anything and who can refer you to someone else if need be. For that reason, I would start with a PCP and perhaps get a referral to a GYN (which you might have to do anyway, depending on your insurance; you may want to look that up).

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • I also have PCOS and your primary care can take care of everything you need. You can have them do the pap, prescribe meds to regulate your periods and help with the weight gain and other issues (most likely will be metformin), and they can check for ovarian cysts. You probably won't need to see a gyno or specialist unless you need to have some cysts surgically removed, but likely they will try the medication first to see if they go away with that. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions :)

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.