Fair representation of relationships?

This site has been so disheartening when it comes to relationships. I am in my mid 40s and in our circle of friends no one is divorced. In our family and extended family only 2 people are divorced. Yet this site is FULL of unhappy people in horrid situations.

I keep telling my self that it is an unfair represntation of relationships since most people wouldnt post about how happy they are... they simply would be happy. Where as people who are unhappy would need to vent. Therefore swaying the way this site would represnt relationships.

Agree????

I would simply hate to think there are really THAT many unhappy people out there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Most people get on here for help or moral support. So Yes, it is probably NOT an accurate view of relationships.

When I was with my ex, there were many times that I would spout off about him. Now that I'm with SO and we are wonderful, I don't say much about us unless asked.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would like to believe you are right. I do agree that the happy people probably just aren't posting about it, because they don't have any questions. But I do fear that the divorce rate is sky rocketing and people aren't taking marriage as seriously as it was once taken. Judging on what I hear people say around me people think of marriage as something that after a couple years when things cool down and you're not as hot and heavy as when you were a newlywed it's acceptable to move on with life because well maybe there are better things out there. I think people are searching in all the wrong places for happiness.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm super happy in my relationship. :) But then again like you said, I don't go around blabbing about how great my relationship is either.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i hear ya...i have never been divorced.
    there are very few people in our circle of friends or in our family that are divorced. less than five,,,and we have a huge family, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.
    my children attend public school...they are in the small minority when talking about who lives with both their parents and are still married.

Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 2:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Statistics show that half of all marriages end in divorce so I'd say your family and friends don't accurately reflect the norm. Not bashing, just saying statistically these posts reflect a more accurate picture of reality.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I hear ya. I have been divorced but I don't feel the need to talk about it. If someone needs help I don't mind answering a few questions with how I handled it.
    JKBsMommy

Answer by JKBsMommy at 2:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm happily married now, but have been divorced previously. In my circle of friends, most have been divorced at least once. I think that your experience with your circle isn't the norm (at least 50% of all marriages end in divorce), but I also think that people here have issues that they want help solving - making it seem like there are more unhappy people in the world than there really are.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010