Are the Twilight Books a good role model for teens?

Edward insisting on marriage before sex, putting Bella's needs first, Bella controlling her hunger for blood. Do these books sneak moral lessons in between the pages of entertainment?

Beth497

Asked by Beth497 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Apart from being terribly written, the "Twilight" books do not showcase good morals, in my opinion....

-main character girl has bland personality and no interests outside of Edward
    -Bella shirks her friends in her pursuit of Edward
    -Edward has no friends outside his family
    -Bella goes for the guy who is kind of an ass and ignores the wealth of normal, well-adjusted guys around her

...I hate these books so much. There is so much better literature that kids (and adults) could be reading.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• A fictional character or book should not be a child's role model. Real people should. My son read them for entertainment only.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• They aren't "good" role models, but I don't think they're bad either. They're fiction, and I think that if a child has good role models in life, those books shouldn't make much of a difference.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I see it as entertainment only.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i don't view the series as anything other than entertainment. role models for teens? not with the sloppy writing of the author..IMO, its not literature even. not even as much as a comic strip in the newspaper.
    morals are taught at home, through word and deed. IMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If your child is reading then I give them 2 thumbs up. Plus books spark imagination and creativity, I see that as a good thing.
    fapalmtreemom

Answer by fapalmtreemom at 2:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It is a fictional book. But I do see SOME morals in the books, as you mentioned yourself. But, I would encourage my teen to have real life role models, not characters in a book or movie. Teach your child right and wrong and real from make believe and the influence from those sources should be minimal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I beleive that they are merely entertainment, and being such they need to bring the reader into the choices that the characters are making. By posing moral delemma like Bella chosing between life and death. Having a warm body and remaining who she is by being with Wolf clan or craving blood, frozen forever in time, and a total tranformation to be with Edward. It really makes one think about teenagers and the identy crisis they experience in High school. How often is the guy they secretly like not the most desireable, but the guy they date is most socially acceptable. If you look hard enough you can find lessons in anything, but not role models (more like on the level examples).
    Mrs.Luv-Lee

Answer by Mrs.Luv-Lee at 9:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have 3 teens and No they are not teaching any thing good to them.......
    michelle146

Answer by michelle146 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's all in what and how we teach our children. I read the all of the books. I enjoyed them.
    It not as bad as what the see on tv,video games and music videos.
    NubianQueen03

Answer by NubianQueen03 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010