i want to become an ob/gyn, but....

i'm a young mother of 3 young children ( 4, 2, & 3mo). i'm a SAHM & my husband is a disabled military vet working a $10/hour job to support our family. i dropped out of high school in the 10th grade even though i had a 4.0 gpa my freshman year. i got my ged & completed one semester of college with good grades but stopped school again to care for myself in my 3rd pregnancy. i'm usually a good student & would like to pursue a career in obstetrics, but i wonder if it's realistic to even consider this as an option. i know admittance to med school is very competitive & i know it's going to be extremely difficult for me, especially because i'm a mother. i've lowered my goals & decided to try for nursing, but it's not something i really want to do. idk if it's even possible. i'm not rich, not even middle class. i'm on welfare, but i don't want to be on it forever. should i shoot for the moon? or just go with what's safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in

• I say go for it! You'll have to do your undergrad work first anyway, and that's where you will have the chance to prove yourself before applying to med school. You could also consider becoming a PA instead. The number of years in school is a little more reasonable, and you can get out into the workforce more quickly, I think.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I just wanted to add to what anime_mom619 said....There's also the option of going ahead and getting your RN, then continuing school to get your CRNP, which is a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner. From there, who knows? But you would be working sooner & bringing in an income sooner to help with your living costs.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• GO FOR IT!!! :o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Hey if this is your dream and you think you can put in the time and effort required to become one.I'd say go for it. If it's what will make you happy there's no reason you shouldn't.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'd go for it! or if you can't get in for that what about a Midwife Certification?
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Go for it. I know quite a few doctors in my area who went to school AFTER they had kids. They are the best doctors I know.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010