Trying to conceive; BBT, CM and OPK's

We are trying to conceive for the second time. Our first pregnancy was not planned but certainly wanted but sadly ended in a m/c just last month after I was in my second trimester. Now, I have done my research, asked lots of questions and met with my Nurse Practitioner since my m/c and D&C to see what steps to take in trying to conceive again.
She has mentioned charting my BBT and my CM (which I started doing over 3 weeks ago). Now, I have had my first cycle and am eagerly anticipating what the future may hold for us!
Those of you out there who have had success in conceiving, is charting my BBT and CM enough or should I also be buying the OPK's and doing them too?
I know with the OPK's, they are basically telling you when you have ovulated (not necessarily your fertile days prior to ovulation).
Whereas, your BBT can be observed for the LH surge (fertile time) and CM is egg white and stretchy when most fertile, right?

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 2:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• you don't need to. you can get cheap ones at prenancytests.com A cheap ferning micrscope is more fun though. Your saliva makes ferning patterns as you become fertile
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I have been researching this for a friend of mine and I found that if you try under the sign you were born each month you are likely to conceive. so if you were born under the sing of LEO you would try while the moon is in LEO. To find all this out all you have to do is have your chart done here is a place http://alabe.com/freechart/ then find out when the moon is in your sign.
    kat868

Answer by kat868 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think I did use one of those years ago (as we have been trying for 9 years!) but I don't remember it helping...I could go out and buy one again though and see what happens! Could be fun!
    I am learning alot of info. that I haven't known about until this year so hopefully we are able to conceive again and that this pregnancy is successful and blesses us with a baby!
    miraclewaits

Comment by miraclewaits (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• BBT will tell you when you already have ovulated; your temp goes up about 1/2 degree starting the day after ovulation. CM you have right on, but you'll have to keep checking to see exactly what yours is like when fertile; some women's fertile CM doesn't get past watery. OPKs will detect the LH surge, which usually occurs a couple of days before ovulation; so when you get a positive OPK, you will probably ovulate in the next couple of days and are therefore ideally in your most fertil time period.

I found OPKs to be a hassle. They can be difficult to read because the test line has to be as dark as or darker than the control line to count as positive. Also, your LH goes up and down throughout your cycle, so even though it's getting darker doesn't necessarily mean you're approaching ovulation. Plus, my cycles are irregular, so there often weren't enough tests in the pack to last me until ovulation. Just me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I was doing bbt cm and opk. Now I just go by cm. Good luck!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010