"MY responsiblity" update and Q for those who thought I was selfish.

Well I did not drive the other girl. Her parents did.

My question to all of those who thought I was being so rude/selfish to not drive... my question is: how far is too far? And why was I the selfish one and not the parents of the other girl??

This girl lived 2 cities away. In the past 30 days I have driven my kids and their friends almost 2000 miles (yes I have been keeping track). So if I am tired of driving and dont feel like driving 2 cities away for a sleepover - not a birthday, not an event, a silly last min. sleep over (basically no big deal) do you still feel Im 'selfish'????? AND what are your thought about the other parents??? Are they not selfish for not wanting to drive their OWN kid??? or is it just ME??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Do what will result in less resentment for you. No one will benefit if you are resentful. In other words taking care of yourself will make you feel better and teach your DD taking care of herself is important. If she is mature enough discuss things with her. She may not think it's fair...but then the fair only comes once a year...LOL
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I can't believe people thought you not driving the OTHER child was being selfish! UGH! That's unbelievable. Since when do KIDS get everything and anything they want? Really-You did nothing wrong and you were NOT being selfish...no reason to justify yourself to a bunch of faceless Internet junkies!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would give anything to be the taxi driver once again, funny how we change with the passing of time!

Answer by older at 2:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think you shouldn't even worry about it. The price of gas alone can be expensive
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with taking a brake in driving but yeah the other parent should want to drive there own kids sometimes to it is a 50/50 thing for both parents should take turns
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I was one who said that you should drive her. But I don't think you were selfish for not doing it. I just think that if it were me, I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I knew she was riding her bike in unsafe conditions and I didn't even try to help. That's me - you should do what you want and can live with.
    I do think that the girl's parents should have offered to drive her and that they shouldn't let their daughter ride her bike in unsafe conditions.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I don't know if the negative answerers realized that you would have actually had to go out of your way to pick the girl up and then back track to the mutual friends house. If it were on your way, it is one thing but when you have to go out of your way then it's a totally different thing altogether. Teens have to learn that if mom and dad cannot take them then sometimes they can't do what they want. That's life. Parents cater way too much to kids these days.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The OP stated in the original question that she had to go past the town where the sleepover was to get to where the other girl lived. I'm one of the ones that said you weren't selfish and asked why the girls own parents didn't drive her.

Glad that you didn't go out of your way and that the parents of the other girl did drive her.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would NOT have gone out of my way either. You should not be expected to drive as much as you are. That is just crazy and I am sure the other parents didn't even offer gas money or to drive one way. YOU WERE NOT BEING SELFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I thought it was not your responsibility but the right thing to do. You never said that you have been driving that much this summer or that it was that far. I would have taken the girl if she had no other way. And there are times I do even if her parents are being the "selfish" ones. I have been know to take friends somewhere if their parent can do the ride home. That is fair in my book. And yes, 2000 miles in a month is a lot, but why are you keeping track? And if it bothers you so much why do you do it? I wouldn't feel bad about it either. My dd will be getting her license in Aug. and I'll tell you I am scared and would rather take her and pick her up a little longer!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010