How do you get a 3year to not be jealous of your 5 month old?

gigi1118

Asked by gigi1118 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have no clue. but if you find some tips out wanna pass them along i just found out baby #2 is on its way and my son isn't to happy about it. good luck and let me know
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• you can always say that no matter your still going be loved & that your going to be a older brother or sister & im still going to care about you & still be there for you
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Have your 3 y/o help you with everything he can! my last two are 2 years apart and my son (almost 4 now) has always been very jealous of his little sister. So he helps me cook (by stiring, getting things for me, setting the table), he helps me carry things in from the car, throws the diapers away for me, helps me "read" to her, etc... It's helped a lot! I'll also leave my other kids with my SO and take my son with me to the store or out to lunch. I'll let him lay down with us when I put her to sleep and if he doesn't fall asleep by the time she does I'll let him get up and hang out with me (this means he'll get a nap in later or go to bed early). Sometimes it takes a lot longer to do things, but it keeps everyone happy. Doesn't take away the jealousy, but it helps.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 2:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The best thing I have found is one on one time. When the baby goes down give all your attention to your 3 year old. He doesn't have to share, he doesn't have to worry about being too rough...it's how it used to be just him and mom. Try doing something special with him that only he can do, like helping in the kitchen. It seemed to work for mine but they are a lot closer in age.
    littlefee89

Answer by littlefee89 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• ok here are the tips i gave my cousin when she had her #2 and her son has never shown any jelousy
    1. Make the older child feel like the helper "would you be a good big brother an bring me that blanket for your sister"
    2. If there is something the older child can do that the younger can't make a big deal out of it "i'm so proud you can go to the potty by yourself your little sister can't do that yet i still have to wipe her stinky but! what a big boy you are"
    3. Make alone time for the older child like a story everynight but make sure they know that it is something special between you and them that the baby doesnt get to do.

wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My oldest turned 3 the week before I had my youngest. When my baby was born, I talked to my oldest a lot about what it would be like when they baby was "a big boy like you". I talked a lot about how responsible and what a good boy he was. He loved the idea of being a big boy that his little brother could look up to.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• One on one time is important! Ask them to help you as much as possible so they feel involved with the baby. My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter is 3 weeks old, we were really worried about jealousy but he loves his baby sister. He always wants to hold her and he is the first one to the bassinet/crib when she cries!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son is 3, and he has a 5 month old sister. We made sure from the very beginning to give him one on one time. We've reinforced that he is loved, and we tried our hardest to keep his schedule as normal as possible. We eat at the same time, have a bath and go to bed at the same time, etc. A lot of weekend mornings, I'll stay in bed with the baby while DH gets up with our son, and they hang out downstairs and make breakfast. I also ask him to help me with diaper changes and taking things to his sister so he feels involved. He's actually very, very protective of her. When they go to the babysitter's, he doesn't like the other little girl (she's almost 2) to say hi to her b/c he's scared she'll hurt the baby. He also sings to his sister when she cries and she calms down immediately. We've made a big deal about how much she looks up to him already. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2010