Am I over reacting?

So I deposited money into my bank acct. for my sister cause her bank was over drafted. I gave her my card so that when it was available she can just go and take her money out. I didnt have money in there at the time so i didnt need the card. Well I deposited she keep callling checking if the money was available every minute of the day. I swear like the next day. So went to a different atm and checked the blance like 4 times charging my acct 2.00 each time. Then she went and took out to more money that was in there. without checking the balance to make sure. Leaving me with a overdraft fee. They keep adding fees I owe about 100 and something dollars. I asked her to pay when it was low and she said she didnt have the money. I'm angry i did her a favor and i get stuck with a big fee and a messed up bank acct. And she said that she didnt have money but I've heard she's at the stores spending money.

phoenixjuelz

Asked by phoenixjuelz at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Learn from your mistake....never do it again for her.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Honestly it is hard for you to be too mad. You knew she was not a responsible person with money yet you gave her the card. Yes she was wrong but it wasnt responsible of you either. You are both at fault here.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Rule number one... don't lend money to relatives. They can stay at my house, I can make them meals, watch their kids, be supportive... but don't lend them money. It always ends badly.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Over-reacting...No! But her prior behaviour should have been a warning sign that she is completely unreliable when it comes to money. Are you going to see any of that money to pay your overdrafts? I'll guess no on that one too, since she is already shirking her responsibilities at her own bank. Hopefully you learned a very important lesson and never trust anyone with your ATM card again, especially not family because you are going to be bitter about this for a long time.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i'd be mad too. She knew her limit, you discussed it with her, and she went ahead without double checking. Of course she doesnt have the money...she didnt in the first place. It was your money. She needs to pay you back since it was her error and it is effecting your bank account. If she can't do it all at one time, fine. But if she could give you something as small as $20 a week that would be better than nothing. If she refuses a good and fair option like that, don't help her financially like that ever again!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think you'd be overreacting if this happened before between you two or if she did this to someone else then went to you (because then it would be a pattern)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Your biggest mistake was GIVING HER THE CARD! You should have NEVER done that! Putting the money in there for her was one thing, and you could have withdrawal it yourself or giving her a check to cash AFTER the funds had cleared. You should have NEVER given her your card! That was a huge mistake and now you are going to have eat the charges! Helping her was not your crime, giving her access to your account was! That should have never been done!

I would IMMEDIATELY request a new card with a NEW PIN number and NEVER, NEVER, give someone that kind of access again!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• She told me after that she didn't do it at her bank bc of overdraft fees, I honestly didn't think she would do me wrong. Thats what i said, damn okay u cant pay for it all at once just give me 20.00 here and there. But what gets me more mad that she out having fun amusement parks, shopping and she tells me that she has no money. I'm still mad. And i dont want to speak her, she didnt even say sorry atleast.
    phoenixjuelz

Comment by phoenixjuelz (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• grrrr, that makes me angry for you. Lesson learned though, never do another thing for her, and don't ever lend money from family.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• So would u guys stay mad? I've been mad at her since it happened and she acts like she didnt do anything wrong and she doesnt care.
    phoenixjuelz

Comment by phoenixjuelz (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010