i went to the doctor and she sd im 100% efaced and 2cm dilated. What is the difference between the two and how long till my little man will b here?

mamma.to.b

Asked by mamma.to.b at 2:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was 100% effaced and 6cm dilated for over 6wks... so I would say until labor starts, don't get excited...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Just depends, I walked around dilated to 3 for about 4 wks. Just do lots of walking and be patient and get lots of rest! :) You're getting there, but don't call the family yet. ;)
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Being 100% effaced is a great thing- It means your cervix is thinning out- getting ready to open so your man can get out! & the woman above me had a VERY rare experience.
    Hopefully your far enough along because I would think that baby would be here in the next week or so!
    Start walking!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• During pregnacy your cervix is like a long narrow tube. It will start to shorten (efface) and widen (dilate) to allow your baby to pass through. So with you being 100% effaced your cervix is completely shortened. You need to get to 10cm dilated before you can push out a baby, so you have a ways to go yet. In all honesty right now those numbers mean nothing. Some women go from 0 - 10 in a few short hours, some walk around at 2, 3 even 6 or more for weeks.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Could be 4 hours could be 4 weeks. Every woman and every pregnancy progresses differently. This is why I am opposed to getting vaginal checks for dilation. They tell you nothing, set mom up to be disappointed, and introduce a risk of infection. I felt it was better to trust that my body was doing exactly what it was supposed to do and that baby would arrive when she was ready.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Effacement means that your cervix is thinning out, and 100% effaced means that you are done with the effacement part. Dialation is how far open your cervix is, and you should be 10cm before the baby comes out. Neither of these things tell you when labor starts or how long it will be. The only thing that it tells you is that you are doing some of your "labor" already, painlessly! Your body is working just fine, and already knows what to do. But, even if it was 0% effaced, and not dialated at all, that would not mean that it is not working. It would mean that it is just working differently... does that make sense? There is no way to tell when a woman will begin active labor, and there is no way to tell how long active labor will last.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• the percentage of efacement means how thin the cervix is, and dialation is how open it is. idk how long it will take the baby to come..... it depends on too many things. i would say pay more attention to contractions than dialation
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Go have sex. I just read that sperm has a chemical than can help induce labor when the cervix is ripe.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I was 90% effaced and only .5 cm dilated for about a week before I went into labor. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 4:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You can dialate very slowly so you can't really tell by this. Best of luck :-)
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 5:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010