Throwing my first Birthday Party.. What am I missing?

Rented a Hall- but having to cater food for about 70 people.
Chicken, Mostocholi, potatoe wedges, pasta salad, & cake. Do you think I need something more? Maybe Chips in bowls on the tables?? Do I NEED to serve ice cream too?
I have pop, water, & juice boxes..

I have table covers, napkins, cups, forks, knives, spoons.
I have balloons & a few decorations that coordinate with the theme.
There arent alot of kids coming- so is it wrong to forgo gift baggies...

What else am I missing?

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Entertainment

• I think you have it all covered but if it's a 1st b-day part, keep in mind that kids get over stimulated quick and you need to keep the party short.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• wow 70 people fora kids party...lol your nuts. I couldn't do it, it wold drive me crazy. Just taking them to a roller skating rink w/ 10 girls is enough to make me flip out. Good luck...can i come? LOL!

FYI, kids usually expect a goodie bag at birthday parties.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Sounds like you have it all covered. I would probably put some chips in bowls tho. I never serve ice cream and I always have someone ask, but I don't care...it doesn't bother me. Also, I do not think gift bags are necessary, but if you want, you could just give out something small like a candy bar with a bow wrapped around it. Have fun!!!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• you made need something for the few kids that are coming to keep them occupied. Music to dance to, thier own table with board games, coloring books etc.

My son wont eat ice cream so i usually have pudding or jello to go with the cake. Plus it is always good to have a second desert for those who dont like cake.

wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The kids who are coming- They are all 5 & over- I dont think its my job to entertain them for a 3 hr party & there is a park directly outside the door of the venue..
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• 70 people at this party, only includes my DHs family & our friends. My family is invited to the party the weekend after @ my sisters place.
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Who is it for? An embassador or something? Sounds very extravagant for a first birthday. Our birthday parties are more about family getting together, maybe grill hotdogs and home made potato salad, chips and rootbeer floats. We talk about the old days, laugh, play yard games and have a great time. Much cheaper and no one is trying to keep up with the Joneses. Its not like the one year old is going to know the difference. People are always trying to outdo the next. Its just crazy. Time and life is way too short. Enjoy the important stuff. You will look back at it later and wonder why you were putting so much emphasis on the material things. You won't even remember what you ate.
    Anonymous

• 70 people with kids over 5???? Are you nuts? What are you going to do next year to outdo this year's? You do this once and your kid is going to expect it the next year and the next and the next. Teach them what truly matters in life. When they are sixteen you will be spending $60,000 on their party at this rate.
    Anonymous

• We had pizza parties and went swimming at the hotel for my kids and a small group of friends. I usually cut it off around 5 or 7 when they get older. 3 hours? What are you going to do to keep them entertained?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• What concerns me as I reread your post. Although there is a park close, you will be responsible for their safety if their parents aren't going to be with them. So no one wanders off or goes home with someone else. I think people are going to expect you to entertain their kids, it is a birthday party after all. You don't want your child to get the reputation that they only had a birthday party for the presents and it wasn't any fun for their friends. Depends how old your child is. They will hear about it at school if it isn't fun.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010