This doesn't sound very "holy" to me

The church we attend is searching for a pastor. The pastor was here for a year and a half and left to work at a church. Long story, and really not the point of my question. In 6 years this church has had 2 pastors. Short times served for them. Well many people are freaking out. It's nondenominational and we go here because my parents go here, and for our short time at home I feel it's important my children recognize how a family prays together. So they are searching for a pastor. Well, a man who is a pastor recently came back home. My dad and I were talking last night about why they don't consider him. My dad explained the Church of God doesn't feel the pastor should be from that area. As in Jesus didn't preach just in his home city. There is a meeting tonight my hubby, parents and I will be attending. I am going to bring this up. I don't see their reasoning of searching a year or more for a pastor when there is a wonderful...

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 2:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the church is to be the body of Christ, not the pastor at the head. Sound like this will get heated, and I am sorry, but sounds as if you may need to be looking for a new church. I agree that families should attend and pray together, but if you are not being edified, spiritually lifted and growing in the Word, then may be a time to move. Good luck and prayers for you!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 5:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• youre right that's not very holy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is it your parents that want to stay or your spouse? If just your parents that want to stay then I would be searching for a new church family
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• have you considered the thought that the church, as a majority, doesn't feel he's a right fit? just because you like him, or he's available, doesn't mean squat, if there's an overwhelming negative. does your church have a nominating committee or board that directs these things? if so, then in a democratic situation, its their job to find the right pastor. the church obviously backs this idea. if you don't like it because of this one reason, i'd say there's something else going on that is making you feel off towards this church. a pastor is the leader of the congregation. some fit, some don't.
    also, some churches are pretty weird with who they think should lead the church. they're picky, they're argumentative, etc. if they can't stand united on a decision, then they'll go longer without a pastor.
    have you personally prayed about this, and sought God's will for your direction, concerning a new pastor, or new church? do so!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• ...capable man right here. Just because he is from the area that should exclude him? I feel a church is to be a family. They know he is applying for postoral positions else where, and needs the work...so why not at least consider him. A family is to look out for one another and to me, this is not looking out. The older members of the congregation also feel a pastor is the rock of a church, I feel it's the entire body that makes the church. I just don't feel it's a very holy way to exclude this man. They would rather live in question and turmoil for a lengthly period of time rather than just welcome what is right infront of them. I don't get it. Sure I will cause heated debate and may not be liked for it. But it is almost hypocritical to me. I know this is a long story tried to be jammed into a little bit of print. So hope it made sense. What's anyone oppinions or suggestions for me??
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• IDK if anyone reads this or not. But I don't go to this church because my parents want me to. My husband is military and for 4 months we lived here and he was away. I feel it is best to make church a family thing, as someday we will not be able to do this. And the man I was talking about was never told he can not work there. They just do not consider bringing in a pastor that is from the area, so he isn't a consideration, whether he wants to be or not. I went to the meeting and have more of an understanding of where the committee is struggeling. This church has had 3 pastors in like 6 years. There are several reasons, but it boils down to the area is a small nothing to do country type place. The school district it is in graduates about 25 to a class. VERY SMALL. And there is no health insurance given to the pastor and family. So it is basically going to be a stepping stone, but they want more than what they can offer.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Not holy but very sick and sad.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2010