Magazines

We were taking a long trip the other day and we stopped at a grocery store. I bought my 7 year old a copy of "M" magazine. My husband fussed and said she was too young for it. But all it had was posters and pictures of Disney/Nick stars - and other various tween-lovin' famous people. It wasn't really inappropriate, I thought. It wasn't like I bought her a Junior Cosmopolitan.
Do you think it's too young?

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't have bought it for my almost 7 year old. I'm with your dh on this one. :) I would have tried to get to a Walgreens or Rite Aid and bought some crayons and coloring books.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I do think that 7 years old is too little for magazines like that. I just don't want to encourage my little ones to idolize the celebrities I know that it is inevitable but I would definitely not encourage it at such a young age. Maybe 12 or so in my mind would be more appropriate. I think great kids magazines are Highlights and Kids National Geographic.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yeah, I understand your point. I usually am trying to pick the best thing for my kids too. But we were at a grocery store in middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma - they didn't have Highlights. We had a 9 hours ahead of us still so given the circumstances, I was taking what I could get - LOL (5 minutes of peace). If I could have picked from a legit bookstore, I would have picked a real book - like Junie B. Jones.
    She doesn't even know where the magazine is now - or if she does, she doesn't care. She was just upstairs reading her Junie B. books a few minutes ago so the magazine hasn't made much of an impression. I don't buy them all the time.
    Blubuni99

Comment by Blubuni99 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Nick Jr, Ranger Rick, American Girl, Clubhouse (by Focus on the Family), Cricket, THOSE are all appropriate for children NOT "M"!!!! Of course there are others but at this time I can't remember what they are. Google "magazines for children" that should give you an appropriate list. Sorry!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 7:25 AM on Jul. 22, 2010