Seeing Daddy again...

My husband is in the Navy and has been working at another base for the last month and a half. He will be coming home, for a couple weeks at least, in about two weeks. Our son is a little over 5 months and I'm worried about how he will respond to seeing Daddy again. I've been showing him pictures and my husband talks to him on the phone almost everyday. My husband is scared our son won't remember him at all and won't want him to hold him. Anything I can do before he gets here or once he gets here to make it easier on both of them?

Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husband was deployed from the time I was two months pregnant til the time Ava turned 9 months old. He didn't get to see her birth and the very first time that he met her was when he returned from his deployment. Ava took right to Alex and now they are inseparable.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It's possible that will happen but remember that lots of babies who see their daddys every day go through phases where they don't want anything to do with daddy.

I can tell you that when my dad came back from Vietnam when I was 2, I held back and didn't want anything to do with him - for a few minutes. Then I saw my mom and brother hugging him and I joined in. Of course, I don't remember this at all. I only know it happened because my mom told me. As far as my memories are concerned, my dad was always there. In reality, he was gone for 2 1-year tours during my infancy and preschool years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• show him pictures of daddy if you arent already doing so, have daddy call and if you have a way put him on speaker phone and let your little man listen. good luck but he will be fine, they both will.. especially when your boy sees you smooching on your man, and hugging on him, baby will know that that is a sign of love, and trust, and he trusts you, so if you are nervous then so will baby, but if you go and hug all over your man with your baby in your arms, he will feel more at ease
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My brother in law was deployed when his son (my nephew) was 6 weeks old.. and did not return until he was almost a year.. We all showed him pictures and videos of his daddy and talked about him all the time..
    The first time he saw him.. he went right to him.. hugged him and said love you dada.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It might take him a little while to warm up to him, because he is so young and that is a considerable amount of his little life. But you have been doing everything you can do to help him adjust, and since you will be loving on him, your son should see that and warm up to him. Does he have a lot of stranger danger? I mean if he freaks out when held by male friends, male docs etc. he's going to have more difficulty adjusting. If he's a happy baby who will go to anyone, it will be easier. Good luck and enjoy the time with your hubby.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2008