how long does it takes to adopted a child

beautifulwom144

Asked by beautifulwom144 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Adoption

• itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It depends on your home situation, your home life, your references (some agencies require them), where you want to adopt from, etc. There's a lot of variables that go into it when determining how long it takes to adopt a child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Our average waiting time for a private adoption in the US is 1 year or less. Typically 6-9 months. I we have a quick placement time, but each company works differently. I work for AdoptionAnswer.com =) Hope this helps
    Blessedinthenw

Answer by Blessedinthenw at 11:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think the estimate of 6 to 9 months wait is optimistic. At our agency (which was fairly large) the wait was more like 12 to 18 months. However, that varies by program (i.e. shorter wait for African-American or mixed race programs vs Caucasian). "The Adoption Resource Book" by Lois Gilman is a great resource if you're just starting this process.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The family I picked waited 9 years, and the after my daughter was born another 6 months untill it was finalized
    BeJuicy

Answer by BeJuicy at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• you can jump in and start mothering a child in hopes of adoption. I had both my adoptive kids from birth. Not finalized until 18 mos on one and 2 years on the next.
    "when adopting, younger isn't better it's just longer"~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• With Adoption Answer.com a typical waiting time is less than a year. We work very hard to treat birthmothers with respect. They are why we are here. We truly care.
    Blessedinthenw

Answer by Blessedinthenw at 5:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• There are so many variables in adoption....(almost every answer here assumes she means domestic):

1. Where
    2. Parameters of child desired
    3. Are you paper ready
    4. Finding a reputable agency
    5. Completing your homestudy (a little time..or long time depending on how fast someone works on it)

I could go on and on. Realistically it would be easier to answer the question if we knew domestic or international. Our international adoption of our then 22 mos old son this past December from Russia was 10 mos from date of signing with our agency to Gotchya Day.
    MinnieMagic

Answer by MinnieMagic at 11:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010