Is it common to do another mammogram and have an ultrasound?

I just had a mammogram about 2 weeks ago. They just called to say that another test and a ultrasound is wanted on my right breast. The retest isn't until mid-August. There is not a history of breast cancer anywhere in my family, or DH's family for that matter. A few years ago I had a pap that was inconclusive. When the follow-up test was done, everything was fine. I am hoping this will be the same(retest shows nothing), but I am nervous about the results. Has any one else gone through this? How did the retest go?

nova.mommy

Asked by nova.mommy at 4:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Health

• I had a mammo come back abnormal. They redid the mammo, still didn't like it so they ordered an ultrasound. They didn't like that either so they did an MRI. They did a biopsy to removed a tumor in /near a milk duct. It turned out to be a Phyllodes Tumor and it was benign. It was a pretty scary time because I was convinved they were going to say cancer. The best news is early detection gives you the best hope for a good outcome. If caught early most breast cancers are fully survivable these day. I'll keep you close in thought and prayer.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It is only common if an abnormality in the first mammo was found. Good luck!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I had open heart surgery a few years ago. I am hoping that the wire they used to close my rib cage messed with the image. But I also have to think that it may be something else. GrnEyedGrandma, Thank you and I hope that you stay tumor free.

nova.mommy

Comment by nova.mommy (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010