Is this true?

I was reading some posts and happen to see this statement:

"If you had or will have an abortion you aren't or never will be pro-life."

So is that statement true? Even if you had or have to get an abortion due to medical reasons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• That's someone's opinion, not a fact. Just because one random person said it doesn't it make it true.

And no, for the record...I don't think it's true =] I think people are allowed to change their minds. I used to be pro-life, now I'm pro-choice. I don't think it's my place or my right to make up someone else's mind for them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• People can change their minds about anything, at any time. Blanket statements like this don't fit the real world.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I can only speak from experience (my own and a few acquaintances of mine). I had an abortion over a decade ago. It was a combination of medical issues as well as the fact that I was 16 and terrified out of my mind. The medical issues (without going into too much detail) caused me to lose about 25 pounds in the first 6 weeks of gestation, and I had the abortion when I was 9 weeks along (and still losing weight). The doctor told me I had about a %60 chance of miscarrying, but it was more likely to be later in the pregnancy, and thus, much more difficult to deal with. My mother and I decided an abortion was best, and I do not regret it.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I do, however, try to steer young women with unwanted pregnancies away from abortion, though I do not begrudge them if they chose it. It's legal, and it's their choice. I try to keep them informed about everything physically involved, from the procedure, to the recovery, to the chance of never having children again, to the mental torment. I stay away from religion entirely.
    MamaLion82007

• That's like saying if you have once said that you are an atheist and there is no God, you can never be a Christian. People make mistakes, people make bad decisions, people just change their views, it's silly to say that a person who has had an abortion cannot be prolife.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2008