my 3 month old son only poops every 3 days...

i took him to the doc & was told to give him apple prune juice. she was rushing so i wasn't able to ask how much & how often.. & if it's okay since he's only 3 months. i have 2 other kids so i know that he should be pooping at least once every day. but he's only been pooping once every 3 days for about a month now. should i just go with what my doc said or schedule another appointment again. she didn't even touch his tummy to check if there was something wrong.. =\ how much juice should i give and will it make him regular again? or will it have to be something we will need to do everyday? does any other mommy out there have a similar experience to share with me?

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 4:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's breastfed, it's completely normal for them to go anywhere from once a day to once a week. As long as when he does poop, it isn't hard pellets, and he's not acting like his tummy hurts, he's fine. It bothers us more than it does them to go that long.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son is like this. He has always been like this. If he does not seem uncomfortable...my ped said this could be normal for him.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• my 5 yr old son poops like every 3 days but his doctor said it is ok there is nothing to worry about
    helenel

Answer by helenel at 4:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is he seeming uncomfortable? If not, let him be. It is not unusual for a kid to only poop every 3 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• as long as it's not hurting him he should be fine. some people simply don't poop everyday, babies included
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Every child has a different cycle. It's normal for babies to poop every three days, every other day, every day, and some twice a day. It depends on your baby and their digestive system. If they are struggling to pass stool, in any pain, or if they aren't showing signs of constipation then you shouldn't worry about it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If baby is breastfed: From Is my breastfed baby constipated

"Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby." I don't know if this is true for a formula baby as well, but every 3 days if baby seems fine sounds okay to me!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If your baby isn't passing hard, pellet like, dry stools, then he's not constipated. If he's going, and it's a regular basis, which it seems to be, I wouldn't worry. Is he breastfed? It's very common for breastfed babies to go up to 2 weeks without pooping!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Not all babies poop every day, and even if they strain some when they poop, it's only constipation (and therefore something that needs to be dealt with) if the poop is hard, dry, and pellet-like. If the poop is not hard and dry, there is no problem - your baby simply doesn't need to poop every day :)
    Be wary of giving such a young baby apple and prune juice for constipation - - if a baby that young is constipated, you need to solve the "why" rather than just treat the symptoms. If baby is breastfed, it is probably something in your diet - - dairy and wheat are common culprits. If baby is formula fed, try switching formula. It might take a couple of weeks for the "bad" stuff to be completely out of baby's system, but in the long run it is better to do that than introduce things to his tummy that he is not ready for yet.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Breast or formula?
    Breastfed babies only poop about once a week because their bodies are so efficient at breaking down the milk. They use every little particle, and so they rarely need to poop.
    If the baby is formula fed, do what the doctor said.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 8:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010