Would you go to a Silent Retreat if you were invited? (rerun...didn't mean to close the question)

"The idea of a silent retreat is simple: you go somewhere relatively quiet and don’t talk—for a day, a few days, or even longer. Silent retreats usually involve a group of people, so the significant part is not so much that you yourself aren’t speaking but that others aren’t speaking to you. In addition, most other artificial sounds—radio, TV, music, and so on—are avoided, so that for the most part, participants don’t hear any words for long periods of time." itotd.

Honestbest

Asked by Honestbest at 4:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I could do that for maybe a couple hours. After awhile I would need to talk shit about the other people to my husband.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would go CRAZY!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I could enjoy that for a day. Much more than that would just get boring to me!

I have a 45 minute (one way) commute to work everyday and I often just sit in the silence and think. It is nice to just be alone with my thoughts, but there is a reason solitary confinement is considered one of the worst punishments. It can drive someone nuts!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I didn't talk for 6 weeks after I had my tonsils out when I was 16. I could have much much earlier but I really enjoyed being silent for that span of time. It was peaceful. Maybe I should shut up more often, lol! But to answer your question, sure! I'd go be silent for a while.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• How interesting! If I didn't have the kids (so there is no way I can go away for a day or longer), I would definitely do that. I once went 3 days without talking. I wrote notes, but mostly I communicated non-verbally. It was fun. I'd probably like it even without all the interaction. It would be so nice to be able to think through a whole minute or 2 without being interrupted by noise or talking! All parents would benefit from something like that.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I worked at a place where these were held. After a few days,I saw people looking freaked out from not speaking. They kept trying to communicate with otheres through pantomine and face gestures! I guess its not all its cracked up to be!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010