What are key points in picking a daycare for a 2 year old??

BritBrit1228

Asked by BritBrit1228 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My checklist..not in any kind of order but

Safety, employees training requirements, cameras/webcam options, hours, toys, number of kids....location...ummmm.....activities....thats all i can think of....youll know after starting other things to look for (diaper changes, etc)
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Go in and take a look. Look for happy kids, a clean room, kids artwork on the walls (DATED, so you know it wasn't a one time thing), an open door policy so you can check in whenever you want, a wide variety of toys/games/activities/learning tools/books, state licensing.

In teachers, look for: someone who get son eye level to talk to kids, someone who sits on the floor to play, someone who can discipline w/o raising their voice or scaring anyone, people who are comforting.

Ask about: meals- provided or no? Diapers- provided or no? Teachers- credentialed or no? These aren't deal breakers, but are things you need to know.

Also, check out NAEYC.org. They run a nationwide accrediting program. Centers have to reach much higher standards to be accredited by them, so you know the center is a bit higher on the scale.

Good luck!
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 4:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I can tell you what they are for me :)

1) Will they give her the breast milk i leave behind, even though she is 2?
    2) Will they honor nap time?
    3) Will they give her the other foods I leave behind? Will they honor my "nothing that contains cow/soy/almond/etc. milk" (she's allergic) and no candy rule?
    4) Is the outside area fenced in? I also refuse to leave her with a provider that has a pool.
    5) Can I sit and observe the teachers? Can I pop in anytime I like?
    6) For each adult, there should be no more than three to four infants or toddlers, four to six 2-year-olds, or seven to eight 3-year-olds.
    7) They should promote development, not just play or ignore the kids until they need something.
    8) Must have references that I can check.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, so this is mine when I decide to put her in daycare. Good luck Mama!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ratio of kids to teachers is really key. Don't want too many kids per staff member.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010