How do I get my 12month old to stop screaming?

This is my first child. So its safe to say he is spoiled. When I try to take things from him that are not safe and he wants to play with them he yells at me. Or example in public if he doesnt get his way he screams. How do I stop this behavior. I want to be a loving mother but yet a respected one. Please help!

Ames826

Asked by Ames826 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hes one. im deeling with the smae from my 14 month old. be firm! he will soon take you seriously. never give in to a fit and soon he will realize they are pointless. as frustrating as it is this is the only way with a child that young. they dont understand real punishment, just guidance. you could also distract him with a safe toy that he lieks.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• THATS A NO-NO BUT I UNDERSTAND...YOU PULL HIM INTO THE CORNER YOU HOLD HIS SHOULDERS AND YOU SAY SAY QUIETLY AND SOFT BUT STERN WHAT HIS PUNISHMENT IS IF HE DOESNT STOP.IF HE CONTINUES YOU TAKE HIM HOME...AND YOU PUT HIM IN TIME OUT.! NEVER GO BACK ON YOUR WORD IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE. I THINK IF HE GETS TOO OUT OF HAND SPANK HIM...ONLY IF YOUR INTO THAT TYPE OF THING.THIS IS SWHAT TOUGH LOVE IS ABOUT.IF YOU CONTINUE TO BE A PUSHOVER AS THEY GET OLDER THEY WILL DISRESPECT YOU AND TAKE ADVANTAGE..THERES NO SWEETER LOVE THAN TOUGH LOVE
    Soon2bemom16

Answer by Soon2bemom16 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thank you for that. It was helpful. I kinda knew that but its hard to fallow threw. I know I need to. Thanks again.
    Ames826

Comment by Ames826 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You need to be consistent. If he isn't allowed something today, he isn't allowed it tomorrow. Your response should always be the same. You shouldn't be yelling at him or anyone else as this will only teach him that it is okay to yell. At this age, you really just need to remove most of the temptations...i.e. baby proof the house...get no nos off his level. When you do have to take something away, tell him no firmly, give a brief explanation and a positive re-direction. Example: That magazine is for adults, not children. Here's a book you can read. When he does something wrong, tell him what he is doing wrong and how to do it right. Example "Tails are not for pulling, that hurts doggy. Fur is for petting, let me show you how" When possible, allow for natural consequences. Example: If you give the dog all your cheese, you won't have any left. (Don't give him any more cheese). Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think all babies go through this at this age. They start to have their own preferences but can't quite communicate. With my 13 month old dd I tell her NO then redirect her attention to something else. If she continues I let her know if she does it again she will be in trouble; if she still continues I place her in the middle of the floor with nothing around her and let her know that when she stops we can play with something else. She now knows that is her punishment and whenever I have to do it she only cries for about 3 seconds then stops.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• He's 12 months old! Spanking is not appropriate and won't work. Time out's are really not useful or effective for at least six more months. You redirect attention by giving them something they CAN play with when you take away something they can't. When he screams in public tell him that it hurts your ears when he screams and you will talk to him when he is using a big boy voice. Then when he calms down you give him lots of love. If he is having a serious melt down, discipline won't work and you need to comfort him and help him calm down. Children at this age are NOT CAPABLE of controlling anger or any other intense emotion. Your job as parent is to help them learn that through love and nurturing. Not spanking a child who will not be able to make the connection.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• At age one, ignore them. If you play into the temper tantrum, then they'll keep throwing them. It's no fun to throw a temper tantrum when no one is paying attention to you. If he's doing something dangerous, certainly remove him from the situation and if he starts to throw a tantrum over it, just walk away. At about 15 months is when I had a time out mat for my oldest son. I'd place him on the mat for 1 minute and I'd walk away. If he got up I'd place him back on it. I didn't have to do this for too long before he got the point.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Consistency with rules! At 12 months, he can start to understand "no". You have some great pointers above, I just want to mention one more thing to try - whisper to him, sometimes if little ones see your mouth moving but can't hear you, they will stop yelling at least long enough to hear what you are saying. It's worth a try anyway! And it's never to early to start introducing the idea of outside voice vs. inside voice. It's too early to expect him to understand it, but it's a good concept for them to start learning. Praise him when he is playing quietly or on the rare occasions that he does hand over a desired item.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010