Do you think that open marriages really work?

Do you think that open marriages really work? Wouldnt someone get jealous after a while? I wouldnt want to share my husband? Would you share your husband with another woman? Another man?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• No
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It wouldn't work for me, but I guess it's possible for it to work with other couples.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• NO I THINK IT MAKES EVERYTHING MUCH MORE COMPLICATED...WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING MARRIED IF YOUR GONNA BE W. OTHER PPL. MIGHT AS WELL DATE.I WOULD NOT SHARE MY BOYFRIEND/HUSBAND
    Soon2bemom16

Answer by Soon2bemom16 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think in every open marriage there is one person happy and one person who pretends to be happy so the other won't leave.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Since it isnt my thing it wouldnt work for me. But there are many people in this world who would thrive in unconventional relationships, and that would be an example....I know im to jealous to do such a thing, but if you set up guidelines in the begining then i suppose?! IDK!?
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes, I do believe they work IF and only ID both parties are willing to be open and honest with the others. I know quite a few people in open marriages who are happy and secure in their marriage. I am a firm believer in open marriage, however my DH is not. Because of this we do not have an open marriage. I think if we did it would solve quite a few issues... I don't see any reason for jealousy to form, but I'm not someone who is jealous or see's my DH as MY property... I believe he is his own person, and have seen more marriages destroyed by disloyalty and infidelity because the marriage wasn't open than by people who were able to honestly and openly go elsewhere to fill their needs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Sabrina... what needs do you have that your husband cant fill if you were to tell him?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• No. Marriage takes plenty of work with just 2 people let alone having another added to the equation
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Amen... Ms House Wife...
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes, I believe open marriages can work. It takes a lot of honest, very good communication and deep introspection into one's needs. I have seen open marriages that work well. It takes a lot more work to ensuring everyone has what they need and to make sure everyone isn't withholding needs. Jealousy is nothing more than insecurity, feeling threatened. If your feeling jealous, you need to identify why and address those issues. A lot of times it comes down to unexpressed expectations no matter how realistic or not; basically put me first before you play. I don't have a problem with my partners having other lovers. I just require honesty in all things.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2010